1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2010 V

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by tumbler, Jan 5, 2011.

1. tumbler

tumbler New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just bought new Prius V in blizzard pearl with navigation package. Since purchase, I have sold the 17-inch wheels and installed new take-off factory 15-inch wheels, removed the covers and installed center caps. I also tinted the windows which included a tint band on the front window, installed a ProClip iPhone holder on left front B pillar, and adjusted the headlights upward in order that I not drive ahead of their illumination pattern even at moderate speeds. This procedure was easy to do using a small 8-mm socket and a small ratchet. I parked the car directly in front of the white garage door and jogged the car back from the door until the upper cut-off of the beam pattern aligned with the panel insert line on the door. I then cycled the adjustment nut for the light assembly and watched the beam pattern slowly rise on the door. Matching the other beam pattern with the first one was a simple matter in the dark, and the test drive showed a good throw pattern with no other drivers cycling their high beams at me. I parked the car on a side road and walked in front of it and there was no excessive illumination that might distract on-coming drivers. I may take them up a bit more, but at their new aiming height, there was a trade-off between near distance pavement illumination and distance illumination. With the raising of the beams, I now can see movement further ahead than before thereby enabling me to take immediate action much sooner than before. I also installed PIAA 4100 high beams lamps which compliment and blend-in nicely with the LED lamp color.

The 17-inch rims/tires looked nice but for me they were not in keeping within the mission profile of the car. I am not a hyper-miler, just drive reasonably and want a smooth quiet ride. The 17s transmitted road irregularities and noise too harshly. The 15s really damp those things out and I am much happier with the car now. Actually, the 17s far exceeded the capabilities of the car and even if they didn’t, I would not be driving at limits that would fully utilize their capabilities. Had I kept the 17s I would have been pushing around too much un-utilized tire and rim although the 17s really looked sharp on the car. I have not noticed any increase in mileage resulting from the tire change but then I haven’t been looking for it either. It will all come out in the wash. With about 600-miles on the car, I am averaging about 47-mpg. This is affected by the car sitting out at night and my starting it early in the AM for the gym run. It is usually in the 20s (F) and the engine cycles on for emissions and heat which I have set at 68F. I really need the cabin heat and the seat heater on since I cannot afford to get my legs too cold before I start training at the gym.

The Bluetooth linking between the iPhone and the JBL system is pretty awesome and the ProClip mount on the pillar puts the iPhone in easy reach. It could be mounted on the center console but in that location it interfered with the front passenger’s left thigh.

I like the navigation system a lot and it has been very accurate. Every destination entered took me right to the address with no errors.

I really like the Prius. The car is capable and competent in every way and makes a lot of sense in the way it is designed. I am not going to try to eek out the last yard of distance per gallon, nor am I a tree hugger. I just like cool innovative cars that are fun to drive and the Prius is just that. Placing the engine map in the Power mode really shows that the drive train has got its act together. No problem with acceleration with this car. I typically run it in Normal mode with the eco bar graph on.

Next up is a full scale conversion of lamps to LEDs. Also to begin soon is the installation of sound dampening material in the doors, on the floor pan, and in the trunk. I will also raise the front seat rail by installing some washer spacers. This will provide more thigh support and improve driving comfort. Cool car!

2. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    congrats and welcome to the forum!

how much did you get for the beautiful 17s????

3. Tonic

Tonic New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    congrat, yeah here in Canada, the tech package with is like a model V with tech package come instead with the solar roof and the 15 inch wheels and without the LED headlamp and foglight....

4. seal2cc

seal2cc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Congrats and enjoy in safety. I would have a V if you could opt for the solar roof. Too bad PHEV appears won't have it either.

5. M D

M D No more gas guzzler :D

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congrats and welcome.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model: