1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2011 Prius Pkg III in Oregon

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by chucko, Oct 8, 2011.

1. chucko

chucko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    New 2011 Prius III in Oregon

Long time Lurker here. Just picked up a 2011 III on Tuesday. I'm a professional Geek and new car addict. I had a 2009 Tacoma that was coming off lease and decided to go the Prius route. It's my second hybrid - I previously drove a 2006 HiHy AWD.

I'm a fan of Wierd Al and since my Prius is Blizzard Pearl I've decided to name it "White & Nerdy". I can't post a link to the song since I don't have the prerequisite 5 posts but if you copy and paste the line below and preface it with an http colon slash slash you'll get there.

vimeo.com/752979

It's not every day you get to watch a music video featuring appearances of a Gen II Prius and Donnie Osmond.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome and congratulations on your new purchase. Enjoy your new ride.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard chucko and enjoy the new ride! No need to tell you to read the owners manual as you probably already have a couple of times. ;) :)

4. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PC - Best Of Luck with Your New Ride!

5. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the forum!

6. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the forum! Out of curiosity why did you get rid of the HiHy? Me and my wife were looking at getting one before we got the Volt.. Was very impressed with the HiHy I drove at a Toyota demo event. Just decided we didn't really need a truck though. I also like Weird Al, and listen to that song occassionally when driving the Prius just to see the weird looks people give me at lights. If you like music videos with Prii in them then you definately have to see this one:

7. chucko

chucko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Weird Al has an incredible talent for saying what we're all thinking and doing so in a very funny way.

I really liked the HiHy but in my case it was like the vehicle was cursed. Not in a mechanical way but unfortunate things always seemed to happen to it. Nothing real major but the flat tires, dings, scrapes and other minutia sort of ruined the ownership experience for me, so one day I decided I'd had enough and sent it away. My cumulative calculated mileage was slightly over 29 mpg so I'm hoping for a good run with the Prius. So far I've got a little bit over 400 miles on my first tank and the display shows 54.3 - if I subtract 5% I'm still at around 52 - a good start for sure.

8. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A good tip is bumping up the tire pressures from the factory recommended 35/36psi to somewhere around 40psi.. I run 44psi, but with that you get an increased chance of blowouts. Plus you lose a little bit of the ride comfort.. That is really good on your first tank though. As you learn the tips/tricks you will most likely get a couple mpg more. My highest ever calculated was 61mpg, but I really babied the car for that one. I just wanted to see what the upper limit of what was possible was. Sorry to hear about your old truck having bad luck. Sounds like our old 03' Grand Prix GTP. That was one of the best cars we ever had. Had been egged though, my wife backed it into a mail box, and then finally it got totalled out after being rear ended by a guy with no insurance right after we paid it off. Happier times are certaintly ahead though.

9. yyyiiikes

yyyiiikes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How many miles was that (61 mpg) averaged over?

10. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would have to go start the car but it was over 600 miles... That was back when I was running the tank dry before every fill up. Since buying the Volt, and making the Prius my wifes car we now only go about 500 or so miles between fill ups as she is afraid of running out of gas. She is not doing to bad though averaging 54 displayed, so about 51 or so mpg actual.. She like to have the AC on and all that though. All my runs were with the AC off, only myself in the car, 44psi in the tires, and leaving long following distances to allow me to coast to stops.. In real life none of it is very practical for day to day use. Especially with the way a lot of other people like to drive. That is how you do it though. Cause it is all about maximizing your regen back into the battery, and keeping your battery level at least within the top 3 bars.