1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2012 Prius Two - Advice of remote car monitoring

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Sandylsu, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Sandylsu

Sandylsu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello - I'm about to obtain a new 2012 Prius, but I will be out of state for vacation. What is the best way to monitor my car remotely so that it doesn't get stolen (not that I can prevent that, but I'd like to be able to monitor my car for any suspicious activity). Can I use my iPhone?

Thank you!

2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The high end ones can be tracked -- I know the Plug-in Advanced has this, and maybe it's on the Four or Five, but definitely not on the base models.

But these cars are almost never stolen. It's nearly impossible without the key or a tow truck.

3. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never heard of anyone having their Prius stolen. First, the immobilizer system is very good and not that easy for a someone to crack, especially a 17 year old "joy rider". If anyone buys an aftermarket alarm for a Prius they are wasting their money since the factory setup is very good and the chances of your Prius being stolen are close to zero.

Second (and more importantly) thieves just don't like Prius. Thieves go after Mustangs, Honda's, and other fast/fun cars if joyriders or cars with high value parts if professionals.

Has anyone on PC had their Prius stolen? If so, please chime in...

4. PruisAz

PruisAz Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All my laptops have LoJack. They can be tracked. I guess it would take a piece of ......cheese to nab the Prius thief.