1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2013 pip owner here w question

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by arche3, Nov 7, 2013.

1. arche3

arche3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi pip people. If I were to get snow tires do I need to get 4 or just the front 2? Stupid question I know. My other car is a range rover so it's 4wd I never had to worry about snow tires.
    Love the pip. Awesome car. My wife and I fight over who gets to drive it.

2. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, all 4 for safety. Two on the front will make for dangerous handling.

Also, please reconsider not needing snow tires on 4wd. Those extra drive wheels do absolutely nothing to help you stop or steer around an accident.

3. arche3

arche3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh thanks. I'm in NY/NJ area. So plowed roads mostly.
    I just called Bridgestone and they told me the all seasons make more sense on pip. Said snow tires don't make much difference. Does it make a difference or not?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any time ambient temps are below 7 C (50 F ?) dedicated snow tires will be grippier. The rubber is formulated to stay pliant at lower temp's. And as soon as you encounter snow the aggressive tread may make the difference between sliding and sticking.

As far as 4 vs 2 snows, the overwhelming concensus is 4. Most places won't even install 2, might even be illegal?

None of this makes any difference PIP, vs Hybrid, vs regular car.

5. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Snow tires make a huge difference when on ice and snow, or even when the roads are dry but the temperatures are low. Snow tires are designed with a different rubber compound that stays flexible (and hence, able to grip the road surface) at lower temperatures.

This video here will show you the difference - All-Season vs. Winter / Snow Tires

You might want to look for low rolling resistance tires to keep up your gas mileage. Good ones are the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 and the Michelin X-ice 3.

6. arche3

arche3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to call around to different places. Even the Toyota dealer didn't think I needed snow tires. ...

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I an in NY and have gone through 7 years with Prius without snow tires. Not a problem for me.

I suggest you try out the first year without it.

Biking Maniac likes this.
  8. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Agree with usbseawolf2000, when I lived in NJ. I never had snow tires. I was there when we had those back to back 20" plus storms. Of course, I had to wait until the roads were plowed, but otherwise, the car performed very well in the snow without any snow tires.

9. arche3

arche3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great forum! I'm going to see how this first winter goes. I guess I can always drive the 4wd. But I am trying to see how much I can go on electric only. My daily commute is under 10 miles round trip.

10. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Been driving in WI winters in a Prius (or Leaf) since 2006, and I've never had snow tires nor felt the need. Smart driving (and properly maintained tires) is the best solution.

11. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    With a 10 mile commute, if you can keep the ICE off and charge daily, you'll be amazed just how little gas you'll need to buy.

And welcome to the forums.

12. arche3

arche3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah. I'm loving the car. Had 3 weeks now. Crazy gas mileage.

13. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Eh, tires are cheap insurance. The stock PiP tires are especially bad winter tires, and those four small patches of rubber are the only thing keeping you safe. Do you need them? No way. Do they make winter and cold weather driving far more comfortable and safe? Absolutely.

14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in NJ and the last time I used dedicated snow tires was around 1978.

15. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is a good point. The stock Ecopia tires perform average or worse in every area except rolling resistance. They even blow out more easily, due to softer sidewalls. (Because of this, 40psi is probably a safer inflation pressure than whatever is listed on the door sill.) You might well do fine with four *quality* all seasons, but I wouldn't run the OEM tires in the Winter. Or the Summer, either, if I could afford to replace them.

16. arche3

arche3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The stock tires are yokohoma avid s33 all season on my pip.

Nexus 7 ? 4

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles are on these tires?

If your 4WD doesn't need better tires in winter, than the OEM tires on the Prius should also be 'good enough' for their first winter too. But if this a used car, with tires that have already seen a winter season, then all bets are off.

4WD helps with 'go'. It is no better with the more important 'stop' and 'steer' than a 2WD with the same tires.

18. arche3

arche3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The pip is new. So tires have 410 miles on them. (I haven't went to the has station yet....)

As long as I can drive the pip on plowed roads I'm happy. I don't want to bother getting new tires and having to switch in out. But if it's not safe I would of course get snow tires. I'm guessing it really depends on location.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Testing brand new all seasons in a few inches of snow, you'll find they do so-so. Give them a year or two, when they're still perfectly legal, say around 5/32" remaining, and the snow performance will tank: once the sparse/shallow siping wears through you can can be running on nothing but longitudinal grooves.

Snow tires ARE an extra hassle, but on the flipside:

1. Their rubber stays more pliant in the cold.
    2. The tread is much more aggresive.
    3. The keep your OEM rims out of winters worst.
    4. They can be part of your tire rotation scheme.
    5. Both sets of tires are going to last longer.
    6. You can stretch the all-seasons' life, get closer to min tread depth, since you're not using them in snow.

zhenya likes this.
  20. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you do decide to break down and get snow tires, and money isn't a big issue, get four steel wheels for them as well. Tire machines really do a number on tires from about the second year on, and the wheels will at least half pay for themselves in longer tire life and no annual mounting fees after the first one. It's also much more convenient to be able to just change wheels yourself, or have your local garage do it, than to wait an hour or more (I just waited two) for a tire shop to mount and balance them.