1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2013 Prius III owner... coming from an FJ Cruiser

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Maz, May 3, 2013.

1. Maz

Maz New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So... I took the Prius plunge... trading in my very reliable, rugged and robust 2008 FJ Cruiser for a new 2013 Prius III. This was not without debate, angst and further debate (mostly with myself).

Why did I make the switch?

Efficiency: the obvious gain is the MPGs... 15 vs 49, which is shaping up to be a $200 swing monthly.

Utility: certainly the FJ was rugged, robust and capable; but pragmatically, I rarely went offroad and only deal with snow, etc. three-to-four times per year. As a hauler, I didn't hesitate to put much of anything in the FJ - wet dogs, baseball equipment, bags of sand. But for the most part, our Sienna minivan can handle most of the hauling and things like baseball equipment still fit nicely in the trunk.

Technology: as a gadget freak, I am in heaven... basically transitioning from a very analog FJ to a very digital Prius.

Value: in the end, the dealer price, coupled with 0% financing and a excellent valuation of my FJ on the trade made this an even easier decision.

In the end, I'll miss the cleanable interior, the power and agility, and the solidity of the FJ; but in all other areas, I am very pleased with my decision to move to the Prius. I am looking forward to many years ahead with this car.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations.

Reading in-between the lines, if you haven't already done so, I would recommend buying, making or fabricating a durable and waterproof cargo area liner. Many are available commercially.

Because remaining Sienna mini-van aside, with wet dogs, baseball equipment and bags of sand, my guess is sooner or later the hatchback reality of The Prius will be utilized.

Toyota and common sense, recommends keeping liquids and water as far as possible from the Hybrid Traction Battery. Therefore I think a durable and waterproof liner is nearly a necessity.

Throw a nice cargo liner in the back, and you might become pleasantly surprised at the hauling ability of a hatchback, and what will be a cleanable interior.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and all the best with the angst!:p

4. Noel van

Noel van Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great choice! I went from a 2007 Mercedes GL450 to a 2012 Prius 2 and have no regrets....my trip this morning was 200+ miles @ 49.4MPG! I love my Prius.

Congratulations and enjoy!