1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2013 Prius owner - care advice?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mackat, Oct 23, 2019.

1. mackat

mackat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I just got a beautiful 2013 Prius Three with 88k miles. It's in great condition and exactly what I was looking for. I'm very happy to have it! It was purchased used from a Toyota dealer with a 5 month/5000 mile warranty. I have never had my own Prius before, although I have ridden in them for the majority of my life and learned to drive in one. My family had a 2006 model that was traded in at 255k miles for a 2016 model, and we have had a very good experience with them. I have been researching maintenance and upkeep, and I thought I would post here just to see what you have to say. I have the dealer maintenance records and everything checks out, only minor routine maintenance was completed by them. Would it be worth getting checked out by a trusted mechanic within the warranty period just to make sure everything is as it seems, or is that likely unnecessary? Is there any urgent maintenance that must be done at this mileage?

Thank you!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

unnecessary, nothing is under warranty unless you have a trouble light.

consider cleaning the egr circuit and changing the tranny oil.

test the 12v health, check the oil level and tires pressure.

at 90k, inspect/clean/replace the air and cabin filters. inspect the brakes carefully and lube the caliper slide pins

i think 100k is the first major service

all the best!(y)

mackat likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd second the transaxle fluid change, Exhaust Gas Recirc Circuit cleaning. That should include the intake manifold.

The brakes should have a thorough inspection tri-yearly, but I get the sense a lot of owners balk at the cost, and dealerships don't push it. Definitely don't put off a brake inspection, just to see where you stand.

Also just have a good look at the underbody panels. They tend to snag on stuff, get damaged by mechanics, fasteners go missing and so on.

And pull everything out from under the hatch floor, check the temp spare pressure, have a look at the 12 volt battery, see that the scissor jack set is present and correct.

Some videos (by @NutzAboutBolts) of interest here:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

If you're missing any books, both the Owner's Manual and Warranty and Maintenance Booklet can be downloaded in pdf format, at Toyota Tech Info site (just google the name), in the "manuals" section.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    mackat likes this.