1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2014 Prius C owner-strange sale negotiation

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by LLUCKYPUP, Mar 19, 2015.

1. LLUCKYPUP

LLUCKYPUP New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Live in Wisconsin and just purchased a new 2014 Prius C. I paid the price
    listed on AutoTrader, which was also the orange tagged price on the car. Went through
    the paperwork and the OTD price was about $1000 more than expected. Not verbally
    mentioned but in the numbers was exactly $1000.00 fee(probably said destination fee but
    don't remember). So I told the salesman we were off by $1000 and what is that $1000
    charge. He said that is the destination fee of $800 and $200 for a aftermarket anti-theft
    system. He said Toyota dealerships add the destination fee to the sticker price, unlike
    other car manufacturers. Of course I said I am not going to pay that and if we can't
    get the deal done that is fine. He asked if we would split the fee, and I said no. He then
    went to the backroom for about 1 minute, came back and said he would take off the fee
    except the $200 anti theft system charge, and I agreed. Now don't get me wrong, the
    dealership was very easy to deal with, with very little sales pressure. Really liked
    working with them, this just seemed really strange to me. I think of my daughter buying
    a new car and she would not have questioned this charge at all. Does this seem unusual?
    Love driving the car more than even expected, I am a pretty big guy and size(car size)
    is no longer a concern.

2. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This the norm for stealer ships. You probably should have refused the anti theft markings as well. They should be upfront with customers on this type of add on items. H

3. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When you walk into a dealership, you have to remember you're walking into a den of thieves.

No matter how nice and polite they are, they are motivated by greed and profit. The good ones got there because they were rewarded for making sales and making their dealerships profit. The ones who are genuinely nice don't survive.

Watch Glengarry Glen Ross and you'll start to get the idea.

If your friends or family are buying a new car in the near future, avoid all this by following the Fighting Chance New Car Buying Guide - How to get the best deal when you buy or lease a new car. buying strategy. New cars are a commodity and should be purchased on price...period. This strategy shows you how to do it step-by-step. I'm not a rep...just a satisfied customer.

And if anyone wants templates to help with this buying strategy, PM me and I'll send them.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The last time we purchased, we shook hands over a Toyota website document which explicitly said "Documentation Fee Included". Then the document was rewritten on a dealership document (Open Road Toyota in Port Moody) and the documentation fee went from $0 to $295. I was actually chided for complaining, calling them on it.

If you've agreed on a price, that's the price. Your options now are to either call them on it, or go over their heads: file a complaint. Or chalk it up to experience.

5. LLUCKYPUP

LLUCKYPUP New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I feel like I did OK with the price, but that $200.00 anti theft marking will bug me somewhat. Really don't see where that helps me, my insurance company will not give any discount for that-maybe other companies do. My guess is that it probably was more for
    the protection of the dealership while the car was on the lot. What their cost is-who knows. Still happy with the price, except that
    one $200.00 add on.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We've got some Tricor window decal; salesman never mentioned them, not even sure what they are. Didn't get charged for them.

7. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I remember when I purchased my 2006 civic hybrid they wanted $200 for theft marking stickers all over the car. I told them to remove them all as the car had anti theft ignition and I would not pay the fee. They crossed it off. H

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the destination fee is standard and right on the mulroney sticker. i paid $850. last time.

9. LLUCKYPUP

LLUCKYPUP New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The destination fee was part of the sticker price, this is the first time buying a new car that I had it added as a separate fee after
    the final price was negotiated.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  11. LLUCKYPUP

LLUCKYPUP New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Actually it was not a negotiated price, the dealers ad showed the msrp or sticker price including the destination fee, and what
    the sale price was for the car. I paid the advertised sale price.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be an honest mistake, but they must have rely wanted to move the car.

13. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    HAHAHAHA....... that's the funniest thing I've heard this week.