1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2015 Prius is getting 36 miles to the gallon.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Leni, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Leni

Leni New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We just bought this car and are getting mpg way below the expected rate. We are primarily city drivers and it is hilly here and the weather is cold. However, everything is new and it is supposed to do better in the city. The car is saying that it is getting 36.3 mpg but it may be much lower. I had to refuel at 311 miles and put 9.3 gallons in the car. The dealership said I needed to "break the car in," that the computer needed to learn our patterns and in 6 months things will improve. Does anyone know anything about this break-in period? I am skeptical.

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to Prius Chat!!!
    I do agree there could be couple fill-ups break in.
    We are winter which kills MPG especially short trips are an MPG killer in winter.
    Get it out on highway 55 MPH after being warmed up and you're looking for some 50+ , not for total trip but after warm-up. Where are you? Little colder region I bet.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we've never had a break-in mpg increase in three pri, i suggest you have a serious problem, and had better fill out the 'why are my mpg's so low' questionnaire.

#3 bisco, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    bwilson4web likes this.
  4. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If you are driving short distances with the heater on in the city, that's about right and I'm sure it is waaay better than the last car you had. Warmer weather will equal better mpg. Learning how to drive hybrid (there are some tricks) will also help.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Cold, lotsa hills, maybe short trips? They all take a toll.

Is this your first fill up? Then it REALLY doesn't count. Way too many variables. How full was the tank from the dealership? Was it left idling endlessly? Hard to tell.

6. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is very low mpg. I have never been under 50 mpg US. Even during very cold winter conditions in mountainous terrain. Pump your tires to at least 38 frt and 36 rear. Stay at the speed limit. I don't get that low with roof racks and a tote box on holidays!. I still come in better than 50 mpg on holidays loaded. Hal

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That sounds about right around 85 mph in 62F weather:

[​IMG]
    Bob Wilson

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The tires will improve slightly with break in, but the rest of the car should be very good from the start. As for taking 6 months to learn patterns and improve, that applies to the driver, not to the car computers.

See this thread:
    Fuel economy complaints/queries? Please copy, paste & answer these questions, esp. if you're new

For another potential issue not covered in the above thread, see aslo: Front brakes seized?
    I've have similar problems on a couple previous cars, front and rear, not my Prius.

9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check tire pressure. As others mentioned short trips, cold weather, warming up, heater on will take toll.
    My new C was ~42MPG for 1st 150mi, now with 1,200 average is up to 50. Had seen it in low 60s on 30mi trip, when we had a warm day.

As I recall breaking in hatchback 1st hundred miles is the worst, then 1,000. At ~3,000 you are ~85% done.
    And it keeps breaking in ~15-20,000, though after 10,000 improvement is minimal.

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My observation and opinion,
    What Toyota doesn't necessarily tell you, is that with short trips in the cold? You will get MPG significantly below the EPA. I do a lot of short trips and during the cold of winter, I average about 41-42 mpg.

But my other observation is also what Toyota doesn't necessarily tell you, is that during the warmer months and on long drives I can often BEAT the EPA estimates.

I would say, my opinion is 36.3 is too low. BUT...

My advice is don't panic.

I don't buy the dealership BS that you need 1/2 a year, but I wouldn't panic with MPG calculations on my first few tanks.

The only thing I might do immediately is check the tire pressure.

Then just keep driving.

If you can get the chance, whether you need to do so or not, I also like the advice of taking a road trip primarily on the freeway. Pick a destination and distance you want to go.

Even in cold weather once the engine is warmed up and moving on the freeway you should see your MPG's improve.

In short, I don't buy the 6-Month break in, learning period your dealership is offering as an excuse. Of course I bought my Prius in the spring, but I almost immediately was getting tanks around 50 mpg. My involvement with Prius Chat had me expecting the MPG's would drop in winter, so I wasn't surprised when that happened.

Even though I think 36.3 is too low, you only may or may not have a problem. I'd keep driving for a bigger sample size of results and experience.

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    New 2015 Driver is getting 36 miles to the gallon.

If you are interested in being a better driver, there are many threads here.

Toyota specs tire pressure for maximum comfort, maximum handling is nearer 40/38. Do not go for maximum MPG as that is unsafe.

The grill allows enough air to drive through Death Valley in the summer, you may well find that in the winter, you can block off the grill.

We can not give ideal advice to this or any other question you will ever ask without your location, but if you routinely have access to outside electrical outlets, Toyota makes block heaters.
    Engine Block Heater for 2010-2014 Toyota Prius - PriusChat Shop

The EPA (not Toyota) sets the specs for the MPG tests in the US. They do so with the engine warmed up at room temperature. If you drive short distance in the cold, you are not emulating the EPAs tests. (or if you prefer, they are not emulating your driving) "City" means slow speeds with gentle braking, not "stop and go". Try to coalesce trips, longest segment first.

As a new driver, focus on predicting your braking, not slowing your acceleration. Gentle braking can save 30% of the energy, not braking at all saves 100%

Bob has listed his steady state MPG graph, speed is gas.

#11 JimboPalmer, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    Blizzard_Persona likes this.
  12. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Chances are your dealer had the car in "ready" for a few hours during cleaning and assembly, now your overall average is low, soon you will realize how to reset the display and start from zero,,

So, reset your display and start from zero, go for an hour drive now check the display.

Yes, short trips and cold decrees mpgs but to be accurate, zero the display;)

13. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Eventually you will learn that the interstate highway system is NOT a race to the finish line, and that each set of traffic lights are NOT your personal drag strip.

Aka slow down to 55-60 mph on the highway.

Learn how to drive your new hybrid like a hybrid.....

If you drive it like most people drive normal cars (hard acceleration followed by hard braking over and over) or like a sports car it will not yield optimal mpg.

Oh and pump up those tires, grill block if it gets cold where you live, use CC on the highway unless you drive in the mountains, use P & G, consolidate your trips as short trips not at optimal operating temps kill mpg..

Reset trip A For each fill up and track your miliage traveled.

Leave trip B (reset when you first get the car) and use that one to track your lifetime mpg.

Be aware that our displayed mpg is on average about 3 mpg high, so if that's showing 36, your really getting 33 or so.

And enjoy.

14. mrajdstp

mrajdstp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not enough info to make a judgement about whether or not the car is responding normally. Variables are
    • New car - known
    • Cold temps - more info needed
    • Tire pressure - unknown
    • Length of trips - unknown
    • Length & steepness of hills - unknown
    For comparison our 2011 Prius was purchase in early March of that year when temps ranged from single digits to 30° F; at first we were averaging low 40's mpg readout - due to lots of short trips. Eventually things improved to summer mileage ~50 mpg in city driving and ~56 mpg readout on the highway. We don't hypermile, nor do we drive aggressively. The same car two weeks ago Sunday at -15° F averaged 28 mpg readout for the six-mile trip each way. Gas engine never shut off or got fully warmed, even with lower grill 100% blocked. However the rest of the tank recovered to upper 40s readout with short and intermediate trips.

There is some truth to what the dealer is saying about break in and the computer learning your driving habits. I'd say give it some time, check tire pressure and wait for warmer weather. I do feel your disappointment; exactly how i felt on our first few tanks.

15. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We bought our 2010 Prius III in May 2009. The next week we went to Reno NV and back and still averaged over 50 mpg calculated. Keep tires at max sidewall pressure, your tires will wear longer, and you will get improved mpg's. Our Michelin Energy Saver AS we got nearly 70,000 miles on a set and still had a little wear left. All 4 tires at max sidewall of 44 PSI. These are a 65,000 mile warranty tire by the way...

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    leni, leni, leni...

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  17. Wayward

Wayward Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I can hit mid 30's on trips to work when it was really cold and my windows froze hard and I actually let the car warm up a little.
    I have the same commute 5 days a week and weather plays a huge part on it.
    When it hits 60 in the afternoon and I have to drive through town I can average 55-60 mpg on my commute. Same commute on the way in to work this morning I got 52.5, last week when we had a cold morning and it was 29 out, I got like 38.3 mpg. This was the morning I let the windows defrost a little.
    Keep in mind this is all still on my snow tires, which I hope to change out this weekend finally.
    Give it a little time, get used to driving it, use fuelly to track your mileage. There is a lot of good advice on this forum.

18. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Looks like yet another one. A one hit wonder with a mysterious low mpg thread which goes against everyone elses experience. Suggest we treat the thread with contempt UNLESS the OP returns.

bisco likes this.
  19. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Its well proven that with our 2010 Prius mpg's in winter can be in the low to mid 40's mpg's. In summer we always see mid 50's mpg calculated of course. Our computer is over reading since day one 3 to 3.5 mpg.