1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2015 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by GaryD1, Oct 15, 2015.

1. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I only got 600 miles on it, drove 480 miles today and got 58.6 mpg on this 2015. I have taken the 2011 we have on the same trip many times and never got this good. No tail wind today, calm. Did they improve on this 2015, over 2011, its not even broke in yet? I'm running Goodyear fuel max tires on this 2015, got Michelin energy savers on the 2011.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

The last model year vehicles accumulate all of the 'lessons learned' for that car. This often means more reliable and slightly better performance than previous years. If nothing else, the labor and management 'learn' how to build the car better and faster. So enjoy!

We have a 2003 Prius, the last of the 2001-03 series, and I've noticed the 2001 and to a lesser extent, the 2002 seem to have more interesting problems than the 2003. Of course it could be the number of vehicles. Just I've been very pleased with the over 100,000 service miles we've gotten.

Bob Wilson

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! i would say there are a few variables, but all things being equal, they are the same.

if they 'improved' anything, i think they would be running it by the epa for pr and fleet mileage reasons.

4. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes I would agree also, the grill is about the only difference that I see in body

5. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes I would agree also, the grill is about the only difference that I see in body. There is another factor and different ways to look at it. If tooting their horn about an improvement then it might take away from the 2016. This 2015 has more lights in front, like the 2015 style better than 2011. I'm referring to the base model. I bought the base Prius 2, no options packages. Then of course the back up camera comes standard now.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My grill testing revealed a conformal, bumper inlet block can make a 2-3% improvement in highway mileage. I'm thinking about how to get one for our 2010. But there are more subtle effects in the control laws that I suspect may be at play. But it costs time and money to update the emissions and MPG numbers and if the 2015 numbers look 'too good', it might soften 2016 sales.

What you'd need is some early 2010 Prius benchmarks to compare . . . something like:
    [​IMG]
    <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

#6 bwilson4web, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    usnavystgc likes this.
  7. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My thoughts exactly, as I just quoted in a reply while ago. There is defiantly a better ride and improvement in mpg on 2015, on the one I got anyhow. I think it could be the grill

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Too many variables I think to determine why you are experiencing the better gas mileage.
    And you're basing it on one trip of 480 miles with only 600 miles on the vehicle as a whole.
    So I'd say just enjoy it.
    Being able to ask "Why is my gas mileage better with my new Prius?" is a whole lot better than being at Prius Chat and posting "Why was my gas mileage better with my previous Prius?"....which are threads I have seen.

As far as I know, there was no fundamental change in the vehicle. So I'd expect things to level out over the lifetime of the vehicle with more miles and usage.

You also have to factor in that a "new" vehicle is a new vehicle, which means EVERYTHING is new in it and on it. New spark plugs, new tires, so I'd expect it to be performing well in relationship to a 4 year old Prius.

And if you haven't already done so, you might want to check your tires PSI.
    When I took delivery of my Prius I discovered the dealership or the factory/port...somebody....had inflated the tires WAY UP.
    My gas mileage was great, but the tires were way over inflated.

9. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I wonder if they tweaked the inverter after the software update debacle. Or, if they left it the same and just built the patch into the software. In any case, glad you are enjoying the new vehicle!

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could be some behind the scenes tweaks. Especially considering it's brand new, and the (broken-in) Energy Saver A/S tires on your 2011, vs (new) Fuel Max.

11. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am having excellent fuel economy results with my 2015, but the overall Fuelly numbers at Toyota Prius Mileage | Fuelly indicate that there is nothing special with the 2015 - the numbers appear to statistically be more or less even with the other years of the Gen 3.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tires are one element that aren't better when new, a bit stickier. Not much though. I think on the whole a tire's "break-in period" is a myth, used as blow-off by tire dealers trying deflect customers disappointed by their new tire's rolling resistance.

I've read that new cars ship with their tires at max sidewall pressure, basically to prevent flat spots. The dealerships are supposed to lower the pressures to spec as part of their Pre-Delivery Inspection.

14. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I set my pressure in both Prius to 44 front and 42 back. They were at 34lb all 4 tires when I got it.

bwilson4web likes this.