1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2016 model with factory oil, do I need to change it?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by maidenfan84, Apr 18, 2017.

1. maidenfan84

maidenfan84 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So I just took home a new off the lot 2016 Prius C and I can't really seem to find a definitive answer. The car is brand new and the dealer is saying it's fine for the regular 10k oil change, but the window sticker is saying change the oil at "2-4-17 or 5000mi". So I'm kind of confused with the 0w-20 in it if it's fine since new, or if it does indeed need to be changed out right away

Any help would be appreciated

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did it come with an owners manual?

maidenfan84 likes this.
  3. maidenfan84

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it's brand new off of the lot from the toyota dealership. All manuals and literature included

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a maintenance schedule included. the normal oil change interval is 10k, but the harsh conditions interval is 5k.

RCO and maidenfan84 like this.
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    maidenfan84 likes this.
  6. maidenfan84

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    What I'm trying to say is this is the original oil in the car from the toyota factory, over a year old. Does it need to be replaced because it's so old, or it's fine?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would replace it. tell them they should do it free, since it sat on their lot so long.

maidenfan84 likes this.
  8. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is in the car, but it has not been used. There is no telling how long the oil in the bottle has been in there, but it is not important, it is not used.

maidenfan84 likes this.
  9. maidenfan84

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That was my thinking. You go to a store and buy oil, they don't throw out the bottles after a year, so what difference does it make on the car if it barely has any mileage on it

10. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I'm wrong, but our British Prii must have more robust engines than your supersensitive ones. Ours only need an oil change once a year. Perhaps the oil industry over there has some kind of influence over Toyota's governance.... :whistle:

bisco, maidenfan84 and JimboPalmer like this.
  11. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I confess, I drive 10,000 miles every 4 months, I may have forgotten how long it is in months. Thanks for the gentle correction.

RCO, Mendel Leisk and maidenfan84 like this.
  12. maidenfan84

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I checked the oil this morning and it's almost a transparent golden color. I'm not going to worry about how old it is, seems fine. Like Jimbo stated, you buy quarts of oil off the shelf and you have no idea how long they been there, stores don't just toss them out after a year of manufacture.

Do we still need to do a break-in oil change or is that a thing of the past?

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thing 'o the past. But...:

Especially considering your location, I would consider sticking with 5000 miles or 6 months, the US "severe service" interval.

That's what I follow, out here on the balmy west coast of the "great white North", with a climate that's much more temperate in winter. I think there's more showmanship than engineering in the setting of oil change interval. And especially if you can find a way to make it DIY, there's not much to it.

#13 Mendel Leisk, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  14. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not going to matter.

Just make sure that you follow the manual and check the oil level every month or 1,000 miles.
    Yeah......I know.
    It's like flossing.....or getting enough exercise.
    Everybody gets told to do it.....but not everybody does it.

If you're one of those people that don't bother with monthly under-the-hood checks, then simply change your oil every 5,000 miles instead of every 10,000 miles -or - change your car out every 5 years or 100,000 miles.
    Also it is very important to check the oil level both before and after you get it changed or do it yourself.
    Also, if you get it changed verify that the oil on the stick is very nearly colorless (wipe it on a white paper towel.)
    The Prius oil filter is harder to get to than it is in some cars, and some places will "accidentally" forget to change out the filter.
    It's not a huge deal if you use a 5,000 mile OCI, since the filter is designed to go for 10,000 miles.....but it's something to be on the lookout for.

OK.
    New oil....
    Some people believe that you should change out the factory oil in a brand new car early.....like less than 1,000 miles.
    Their imaginations lead them to believe that there are pounds of metal shavings and other manufacturing by-products cruising around in the oil that will damage the brand-new motor......forgetting that the brand-new motor with the brand-new motor oil has a brand-new motor oil FILTER.
    These people think that you will wreck your motor if you change the oil when the manufacturer says that you should.

And then.......there are other imaginative "experts" that will lead you to believe that factories put special "break-in oil" in their cars that has secret properties that are designed to seat valves and piston rings and polish bearings to a high luster. These people also think that you will wreck your motor if you change the oil when the manufacturer says that you should.

I hate to go to the last chapter of this mystery novel and spoil the ending for you, but in the end it's not really going to matter which way you go. You might even consider the bizarre notion that you should change the oil when the manufacturer says that you should.

Me?
    I use a 5,000 mile OCI (oil change interval) and I check my oil level semi-religiously every month.

Good Luck!
    Let us know what you decide.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm curious, anyone checking oil on a fourth generation: is the dipstick easy to read? With third generation, due to deflections in the dipstick guide tube or whatever, the freshly-pulled dipstick has a lot of oil smearing, up beyond the true level. Wiping it, waiting 5 minutes or so, then re-insert and pull out: it will be much clearer. I guess because oil in the guide tube has had a chance to drain down.

Comment on the oil filter with permanent housing:

While commendable that it reduces and simplifies recycling, it increases the risk of accidental (or intentional) mess-ups. If someone else is changing your oil, there's no easy way to verify the filter has been changed. Or if there is a filter in there.

Even for DIY: I've caught myself more than once, ALMOST reinstalled the housing sans filter. The best design is a foolproof design, and this one isn't. It's somewhat similar to the return-to-centre electronic shifter: it's cool, innovative, but the lack of visual/physical cues can be dangerous.

16. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just never let the oil level fall below the MINIMUM on the dip stick and you should be alright. Even dirty looking oil is considerably better than none. Never heard of dirty oil killing an engine, ever - and I've been around more than the allotted three score and ten! ;)

bisco likes this.
  17. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I check the oil before I drive the car, typically after setting overnight, pull the stick and read the level, no need to wipe and reinsert the stick, it always comes out smeared if I reinsert and pull again. The level reading is correct the first time I pull the stick, no need to wipe and read again. As far as when to change the oil, you can follow the mfg interval or anything in between if you don't care about wasting good oil

Raytheeagle and maidenfan84 like this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my only concern would be condensation. if in the engine is the same as in the bottle, shouldn't miles be the only factor, and not time?

19. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Then wouldn't it even make sense to change the transaxle fluid and what about the gas that set in the tank till it was sold?

maidenfan84 likes this.
  20. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The reason is that we have lawyers on this side of the pond, while you have barristers... ;)