1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2022 Prius XLE NIghtshade with condensation in headlight

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Doug McC, Mar 4, 2022.

1. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I’m new to the forum and Toyotas and the Prius. My wife and I were pleased to be able to find a new one we could afford at a nearby dealership. With less than 300 miles on it, I noticed condensation in the passenger side headlight assembly so we headed back to the the dealership. They took some pictures and said they would get approval to replace it.
    Four days later I called to see what was going on and they asked me to return so they could take more pictures (apparently the powers to be didn’t like the first ones).
    That was yesterday and today I checked in with them and was told they were still trying to get approval.
    I fear this may become the reason this Prius will be our last Toyota.
    Are they known for problems with Prius headlights? Should we be concerned?

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read every Gen 4 Prius post in the last 6 years - never seen that. I suspect a one-off.

Any signs that the car had been damaged and repaired which VERY occasionally happens before delivery?

3. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I know this is not your dealer, but interesting read from a dealer on condensation:
    https://www.toyotaofkingsport.com/blogs/1264/remove-condensation-headlights/

Just the first explaination, there are tips after:
    Condensation inside your vehicle’s headlights can lead to short circuits, premature bulb failure, mold, and other problems. It can also keep your lights from working properly, making driving at night difficult and dangerous. If you notice condensation often, it could be a sign that the seals or gaskets protecting the inside of your headlights from moisture are compromised.

Doug McC likes this.
  4. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I
    I checked pretty closely and could find no evidence of damage or repair. Even checked real close for a crack in the lens and found none.

I had to laugh at the advice to dehumidify an un-heated garage for a vehicle that design basis was to be the most environmentally friendly!

Good news is, what ever the cause, my dealership called and said the assembly would be replaced under warranty. YAHOO!
    Service manager said they had one on the way and should be here in a week or so. Feeling a lot better now!

5. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I've never heard of an LED headlight assembly letting water in without being damaged somewhere which is, probably, why Toyota wanted extra pictures to ensure it wasn't installed incorrectly or had a defect. (And I'm sure Toyota told the dealer to mail them the old headlight so they could examine it.)
    My guess is it did get bumped or hit on the ride over the ship from Japan....glad they fixed it!

Doug McC likes this.
  6. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Update on my headlight: They replaced it today. Said it was the first one they had ever done so weren’t sure how long it would take (just over an hour). We all got a good look at it and agreed it was strange looking indeed.
    There was a clear view of what almost looked like a decal up in the very upper corner like someone left part of a plastic film on the inner surface. If we all hadn’t seen moisture further down we would have blamed that and left it at that.
    A very thorough inspection didn’t reveal a broken seal, a crack, or anything else that would account for the moisture and they told me that the way they are constructed should prevent moisture from entering after manufacture. So it appears at this point Toyota will be asking some tough questions of the supplier (the service advisor said “I wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of that inquiry!”.
    Now it looks GREAT (they even washed it)!

Colorado Boo and Merkey like this.
  7. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Glad they fixed it. Very unusual problem for a new Toyota.

Doug McC likes this.