1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new "34.1 mpg"/"35.5 mpg" CAFE standards released

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Apr 2, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Surprised nobody's posted about this yet...Lots of news coverage on this today:
    "Obama Administration Finalizes New Fuel Economy Rules for Cars and Light Trucks" Green Car Advisor
    US, Canada finalize new auto fuel economy standards - Yahoo! News
    Final fuel economy regulations announced - Yahoo! Finance
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20100401/AUTO01/4010450/Feds-unveil-new-fuel-economy-rules
    http://www.ogj.com/index/article-di...interest-2/2010/04/new-us_cafe_standards.html

Details at:
    CAFE | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(NHTSA) | U.S. Department of Transportation

I wish the news reports would actually talk about the difference between inflated CAFE numbers and what they'll actually see on their window sticker. "Fuel Economy: Doublespeak at its Best" Green Car Advisor talked about this long ago. "35 mpg" in CAFE speak is only 26 mpg combined.

They ought to point out cars like the 2nd gen Prius already get "65.7 mpg" for CAFE purposes. The 3rd gen counts as "70.894 mpg" for CAFE purposes. All the data's at Download the Fuel Economy Database. Even the Altima Hybrid's at "46.7098 mpg".

"35 mpg" sounds "great" to some or crazy (too high) to others. I remember many months ago one of my coworkers posted on his FB page complaining about it (he's political) saying it would lead to "put put" cars but he backed down when I educated him on CAFE on the above.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A surprisingly (for a car magazine) well written article on improving 'fleet' mileage from Road and Track.

Add More Lightness - Car News - Road and Track

There is a fine graph on how we got here, and one showing where we might have gone, on page 2.

3. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Very good article. I enjoyed the mention of the Mini, which I see as the example of why Detroit still doesn't get it. Small cars do not have to be cheap and un-fun. Price out a Mini Cooper sometime at miniusa.com. I did. That's one of the reasons I have a Prius.