1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Accessory Kits Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mboileau, Apr 6, 2004.

1. mboileau

mboileau New Member

For those of you (like me) who are lurking around the CoastalETech site, the '04 Prius page has been updated:

COMING SOON!

Auxiliary Audio Input Adapters

Brake and Engine Run Indicators

Options to allow your Prius to run in an electric only mode at times of your choosing

Video Input options for your Prius screen

Keep checking back as new kits are developed and added to the product line!

We know they've been busy, but glad to see that they're still working on it!

2. riskable

riskable Junior Member

What do you suppose that means?

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

From another thread, it sounds like something that would indicate whether you're using regenerative braking, or actually using the brake pads.

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Those are the two biggies for me. Now, if the latter can be done without voiding the warranty...

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Tells you when you are putting your foot on the gas or the brake? :lol:

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Coastal Dave's mod will be the same as far as warranty as if you do it yourself. Only when Toyota puts this out in the US cars and offers it as a dealer mod will you be 100% protected.

In any case, I think that unless you do something completely wrong you'd have some strong arguments against it being a warranty violation.

7. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Looks like Dave's almost there! There's a tab on the 2004 Prius page for the Brake/Engine Run Indicator Kit. Nothing behind the link yet....

8. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Well, now ecoastaltech has links with photos of the brake/run indicator and the EV switch....

9. rflagg

rflagg Member

hmm, do not know if I like where the display is for the brake/run indicator - hopefully there's another place to put this so it doesn't constrict the already tight view out of that extra window?

-m.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're joking right, you actually try to look out that little window? I absolutely can't see through it at all....I didn't really think it was intended to be viewed through, but rather to allow more light in and to break up the lines of what otherwise would have been a VERY thick column there.

Now, I do, generally, agree with you that I'd like a better location...maybe over by the speedometer (just above on that lip) or even just behind the steering wheel.

11. rflagg

rflagg Member

When I'm in the passenger seat, I can look out that window - the passenger side window is good for the driver's blind spot, and vice versa, if there's a passenger. But, in the driver's seat, with the seat all the way back - no, I can't see out that window. Sorry. :)

-m.

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank goodness!! I had visions of you driving like an old lady with your chin resting on the top of the steering wheel, the seat pushed all the way forward and a white knuckle grip on the wheel!!

:wink:

I don't think that the indicator will interfere with the view from the passenger seat, I believe it sits a little forward of that window edge.
    --evan

13. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm hoping CD has some ideas for video inputs for the screen for those of us without the NAV option.

Dave

14. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Looks like Dave's been busy. His 'coming soon' list now has the following additions:

Remote Hatch Opener using factory remote control

Automatic Door Locks engage when vehicle reaches 10 mph

Power outlet addition for continuous operation

I personally wouldn't mind the Remote Hatch Opener. Maybe it's me, but the SS sensor on the hatch handle seems to be the quirkiest of all the doors. Sometimes I feel like I have to stand there and grope around like I'm reading Braille before I get the OK beep!

15. rflagg

rflagg Member

Same thing here with the remote hatch - it takes a little longer than the door sensors I think. I'm all for that one, and definately the auto-door locks as long as they're both fairly straightforward installs. Well, first I modded my computer to look cool, now I guess it's time I start modding my cool looking car to have more function! BTW Thanks for keeping an eye on Dave for us! :)

-m.

16. Medved

Medved New Member

I would like to see some optional video and sound on the display. It would be nice to be able to have your passenger watch a movie on a long road trip.

17. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My rear hatch release is difficult to operate, too. It seems like I have to actually grab the handle to make it beep, but with the other doors, I just put my hand between the handle and body of the car to make it beep. A remote for the hatch would be sweet.

18. chris_b_01

chris_b_01 New Member

I know that in the UK at least this would be illegal. You can't have a video source within sight of the driver. Not sure about the USA though.

(I emigrated here/USA over 5 years ago)

Chris

19. rflagg

rflagg Member

Dave added another:

Battery Saver

--Any ideas!?!?

-m.

20. xevious

xevious New Member

Uh, that's probably because you *do* have to "grab the handle" to make the rear door release. Unlike the side doors, the rear door doesn't have a touch sensor; it has an old-fashioned pressure sensor. (So go ahead and give it a squeeze!)

Switching over to pure speculation, I'm willing to wager that the reason the rear door takes longer to unlock/open is that the rear SE sensor doesn't "actively" look for your fob like the side door sensors do.

When you walk near a side door sensor, the car recognizes you, illuminates the dome light, and presumably prepares the SE system for your touch-activated unlock command. The rear door doesn't appear to look for you in advance, so the delay in unlocking is probably due to the time it takes for the SE system to wake up, interrogate the fob, and unlock the door.

That said, I'm looking forward to Dave's auto-lock feature!