1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New and need help!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by zac brown, Sep 16, 2012.

1. zac brown

zac brown Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like to convince my wife to trade in our Sienna for a Prius. We are a family of 5 and most days there will be no issues. The one week out of the year we do drive to NC for a beach vacation. Not sure how we could pull it off in a Prius. Thanks

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Rent a larger vehicle for that week, get a Prius v wagon or consider a '12 HyCam. Not sure if your space concerns are more about passenger room or cargo capacity though.

Consider the cost of renting that larger vehicle for a week on an annual basis vs. keeping the Sienna or buying a vehicle that's a guzzler to a Prius or HyCam.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    May I be cruel?

51 weeks of Prius v MPG * your distance + 1 week of van rental should be cheaper than 51 weeks of Sienna MPG * your distance + 1 week of Sienna ownership to NC and back.

Minivan Rental - Enterprise Rent-A-Car

I chose the Prius v as you will have 5 people and it is wider. It also has a big enough cargo area you may not need the van.

My v is new, and so far I am down about 3 MPG from my 2009 Prius, but it is a much larger car for my use. (cargo)

4. PruisAz

PruisAz Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We both have economical autos for city use. We also have a 10 year old SUV gas guzzler with less than 100k miles that we used for trips thats cheap enough to be purchased without a loan.