1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Arizona Hybrid Plates

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by walroose, Mar 2, 2007.

1. walroose

walroose New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Last month, the Arizona Department of Transportation started a hybrid vehicle pilot program that will allow hybrid drivers to use the HOV lane. On my commute into work, I have the option of taking the freeway, but I have been having a better time taking the surface streets. The surface streets allow for better efficiency and a less stressful commute. So, for the most part, the ability to drive in the HOV lane means nothing to me. But I am wondering should I get one for the sake of having one? Or leave a spot open (there are only 10,000 available) for someone who would get more use out of it? I am leaning towards the latter, but it would be nice to have one for if I ever found myself in the situation that I wished I had one. Any thoughts?

M

2. jezroj

jezroj New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You will regret the day you can use one and remember you did not get them. Go for it!

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I had a chance to get the stickers in CA, but didn't as they were ugly and useless on my commute. In nearly two years of ownership I have not needed them. But that's me and I was happy to let someone who needed it more get one. Perhaps if it was a plate, I might have gone the other way.

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Why would you get them, if you don't like the freeway? I don't understand your question. I don't find freeways especially stressful, but I do over 25,000 miles a year, and the HOV access is important to me. It sounds like you don't need or want to use them, so where's the question?

5. yups

yups Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the pilot program is a scam. It conveintly makes 10K available which is pretty close to the total # of the qualifying registered vehicles. If you dig deep enough you'll find legislation contigent on fed approval and a semantic sidestep by AZDOT to hinder incentives for cleaner burning cars. The VLT issue is significant to warrant civil action.
    Lastly, Arizona is a backwards state. The fact they are even considering the first refinery, out near Yuma, in a very long time is the shining star. The refinery will actually blend MTBE on site, for storage and sale elsewhere. All with ADEQ's stamp of approval. Wth

6. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walroose @ Mar 2 2007, 11:38 AM) [snapback]399155[/snapback]</div>
    I would get it! more of chance to be unique with less than 10,000 being issued. I wish Colorado would have that option.

7. yups

yups Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomorrowMatters @ Mar 3 2007, 08:59 AM) [snapback]399471[/snapback]</div>
    I think CO is too busy doing something REAL and dishing out a tax incentive for Prius owners. Or so I hear. The last Arizona AFV plate I saw was today. It was on a Ford Explorer.

8. tere1998

tere1998 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walroose @ Mar 2 2007, 01:38 PM) [snapback]399155[/snapback]</div>
    I purchased my Prius last month and I just applied for the new plate. The bummer is that you can't get it personalized. I say go for it and use it when you need it.

9. kayemarschke2

kayemarschke2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tere @ Mar 5 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]400308[/snapback]</div>
    What do you mean you can't get it personalized? I just got mine ordered, it's a Alt fuel plate. I got it personalized and it's handi-cap. I call that a tri-fecta!

10. bpeschka

bpeschka Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kayemarschke2 @ Mar 29 2007, 08:15 PM) [snapback]414638[/snapback]</div>
    The AZ DMV website FAQs for the Energy Efficient Plates say that " For this pilot program, these plates may not be personalized.".

I guess they forgot to tell the DMV workers or Service Arizona.

Also, the website says the vehicle has to be registered and titled before you can submit an application for the Energy Efficient plates. I just bought a Prius, so that means the dealer is titling and registering for me. Then when my regular plates arrive, I can apply for the new plates for another $8. Hope the allotment doesn't fill up before then.

11. DFWPrius

DFWPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get the plates!

Reasons:

1) Gives you the option to drive in the HOV lane if you need it.
    2) If the program is like the one in CA. the plates stay with the car and the resale value would be raised by
    having the plates.
    3) If all the plates are issued quickly, the DMV will have to change the program to full time and issue more
    plates.
    4) When other drivers see the all the hybrid in the HOV lanes, they will think about buying one also.

12. Reddog15

Reddog15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I ordered my plate the other day. I think that another reason to get the plate is to increase the awareness that the Prius is a fuel efficient and low emmisions vehicle. Many people don't understand our cars!

13. Prius The First

Prius The First New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomorrowMatters @ Mar 3 2007, 08:59 AM) [snapback]399471[/snapback]</div>

I would second that. Perhaps with Gov. Ritter thankfully at the helm and his "commitment" to renewables it just might happen. I mean there is a plate for Greyhound Rescue, Street Rod, Raptor, Columbine, Broncos, and every branch of the Service. Over 100 choices in all!

I'm sure that a Hybrid Plate could fit in somewhere.