1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New audio install in 2007

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Michael Freeman, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Michael Freeman

Michael Freeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all
    Can someone set me straight crutchfield says that you can only draw 350W/20Amps from the Prius electrical system without impacting the performance of accessories I.e. Headlights etc. well I have a couple of old school amps, PPi and a butler tube amp along with old German Mb Quart / hertz/focal speakers that I'd love to make a system from, any comments or thoughts appreciated. Thanks
    Mike

2. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    I would trust Crutchfield. The Prius has a wimpy 12V, no alternator and gets all its 12V power from the Inverter.

3. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm running (2) 4 channel amps with no problem. 0 gauge and a 100amp fuse going to distribution block then 1200RMS total draw from the 12v battery.

iPhone ?

4. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius' inverter has a 100A fuse, so it's been surmised that it produces about 80A maximum. When the Prius is on, the Prius computers and base accessories (e.g. brake pump) draw around 20A. With the headlights on, this can increase to around 35A. The air conditioning system can draw another 20A. That leaves around 25A of capacity for an audio system without draining the battery. 25A * 13.8 volts = 345W, however class A/B power amplifiers in cars are usually ~60% efficient at max power, therefore 345W*.60= 207W max amplifier power. This is being fully conservative, and probably approximately how Crutchfield came up with a 20A number.

However if you don't have lights, A/C, or any other accessories on, you have ~60 amps to use without causing battery drain. 60A * 13.8 Volts = 828 Watts, or about 500W maximum output to the speakers after amplifier power loss. Going class D (higher effeciency amps) will get you a bit more.

If I already had amps with a much higher capacity, I wouldn't worry too much. You can avoid going into a battery drain state by not running your system at maximum volume. Keep in mind in audio that every 3db increase in volume requires double the power, but it takes ~10db for something to sound twice as loud. Therefore if you keep your maximum volume 6db below maximum of your amps, you'll only draw 1/4 of the RMS power, and it won't even sound 1/2 as loud.

If you're worried about your battery, you can use a battery voltage monitor such as a scanguage. The inverter in the Prius puts out 13.8V. If you see the voltage drop much below this, it just means you need to turn your system down a notch or two.

If you don't use a voltage monitor you should be fine - this guide should keep you safe:
    If you don't have lights or AC on - run your system up to really loud, but not f****** loud.
    If you have the lights on or you're using the AC, run your system loud, but not really loud.