1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Audio install - what to tell the shop

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by vidoprof, Jul 2, 2011.

1. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    so the reputable shop here has never worked on a Prius before. Kinda scared but there aren't any other places either.

Anything they should know ahead of time? Any tips or tricks or gotchas from the experts here?

Looks like I might go the route of all hertz and a JL 900/5 amp with a custom sub in the driverside cubby hole.

I want to use my Avic N2 DVD/flip up screen for the head unit and get a rear camera as well.

Thanks
    Ryan

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm going to give you the results on my research, some details of my install, and what I would do different. This may save some time and give you options. Use what you want, it's you car.

Any "reputable" installer will have no problem with this and have access to needed adapters and tech materials. Make sure they know how to disassemble the interior though. Make sure they are an "Authorized" distributor for every component they install. Make sure they give you a 3 year Warranty, in writing, for parts and labor. If they have a problem with any of this, find someone else. When I shopped installers, I went to 9 different places and found prices and skill levels varied greatly. Quick search on web showed only one installer that advertised Hertz (Audio Itch?) in your area, but you have quite a few in your 25 mile radius to shop.

I would first suggest you reconsider the head unit. Like a computers CPU, it is the most important component of a car audio system. The HD900/5 amp likes 5V preamp in. The N2 you mentioned has a preamp out of only 2V and this is not going to work well, if at all with this amp. This is real important. AVIC-N2 - | Pioneer Electronics USA Pioneer is real bad with Blue tooth, will soon have no traffic, and the Nav is not near as good as Garmin.

Both Scosche and Metra make single DIN adapters for this HU, but they are painted semi-gloss, do not match the dash grain, and are known to wear and peel. With a double DIN HU you can use the Toyota piece, which I do recommend.

Make sure that your Nav, Video and all other fuctions are enabled while driving. Those laws are so stupid. You can change the radio station and push so many other buttons, but... And what about your passengers ability to access those functions? Just switch screens if being pulled over. Nav antenna can be placed under the dash, but not the one for satellite, if you get it. I placed that one on top of dash, center forward, just shy of touching the windshield, and it works perfect. Couldn't hide everything.

Use 4GA cable from the battery to the capacitor to the amp, with a 60A fuse near the battery. I used conduit on the long run. Keep the capacitor close to the amp. I used 16GA twisted pair speaker wire from the amp to the cross-overs and speakers. This is a powerful amp with speakers that can take more than it will give. Utilize them. The wires will fit through the door "boots", but we had to drill through unused pin locations (2 on each side) at the B-Pillar disconnects to enter the boot to the rear doors. All looks factory. You can leave existing speaker wire and connectors in place stowed, your just bypassing them. Use Quad Shield RCA's from the HU to the Amp. Keep everything 4 ohms.

Placement of front 1" tweeter may sound better on the angle facing the front seats of the forward leg of the A-Pillar, as opposed to the one I used. We did move them around with Velcro prior to cutting and tuning, and I just liked where I put them more. Notice the grills I used were painted to match. There is a lot of options that come with the HSK 163 for mounting each piece.

I would go with either the CMOS-300 or Camry camera, all the way or cheap. The CMOS-200 is good, but it is just half way there and cost more than it's worth. The wiring will go through the hatch boot.

I would have also done a better job with the sound deadening. Do inside the doors, or if like mine, make sure the wiring harnesses are mounted outside the material. Don't forget the rear hatch.

Another thing I would do different is the placement of my USBs and 3.5 jacks. I wanted to keep all options open, but I over thought it. My Kenwood HU has a USB in for Apple stuff, 2ea. 3.5's for A/V (that can be used with or without the Apple USB ), and a USB for updates, thumb drives and other external devices. I had them extended and surface mounted in the upper glove box separately (see pic). If I did over, I would use the newer KCA-iP302V harness (can charge the new iPads now) and a DataPro p/n 1589 USB and surface mount them below the Bridge on the panel with the 12V adapter. Simply 2 USB ports, one for Apple (with 3.5s incorporated), one for everything else. Both accessible and not in the console where coffee and drinks spill.

Hope I helped. Good Luck.

Attached is the build list I used.

View attachment 2010PriusInstall .doc

DSC05893.jpg

1 person likes this.
  3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great info from Fro. I wouldn't bring my car to a shop that wasn't comfortable with it at all! Why let them use it as a Ginny pig?

Should you let them, be sure to tell them to disconnect the 12v battery while they are installing. Do keep in mind that when they do this you will loose your trip and FE information in the MFD.

4. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks again guys. I appreciate the comments.

Frodoz: Thank you so much for the info. I have no idea what I would use all those ports for though. I mean I have a new Ipad and an iphone, but there are a lot of connections. What would you use them for?

Also I misspoke I have the AVIC N4, not the N2. Sorry. There are a couple different places that have different values on PreAmp out voltage. One says 1.7volt, and one says 2.2V. Still not 5 volt preouts. Looks like I am getting a new headunit too.

I really like to have the ability to play DVD's in the car (I do that right now and love it for long trips). I do not have netflix (but might think about getting it to stream videos and movies although I do not know how to do that yet).

I have been looking at some newer headunits and they all do facebook, aha radio, pandora, and connect through the iphone and netflix as well. Just do not know if I wanna give up the DVD playing.

I will definitely get 5v preouts and get a new headunit if that makes a HUGE difference.

BTW Audio Itch is the name of the shop that I was going to probably get the install done. They might give me a store credit for some of my old stuff as well (zapco AG750, Zapco AG200, DLS A6, DLS A2, and some speakers) so the install might cost me a little less. Plus having the 3ways I might be able to get a good trade in for them for the Hertz stuff too (although I am thinkinng of keeping the DLS Stuff just so I don't drop another $1k on the Hertz speakers.

Anything else I would love to hear from you guys out there.

Thanks
    Ryan

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My apologies if I was wrong Ryan. Per http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/16816.pdf pg. 9, this amp may use lower preamp in voltages from the HU (selectable). My reads and other sources told me the amp "likes" 4-5 volts in. I would call JL Audio Technical Support Department at 954-443-1100 before you shell out for another HU. Still, if budget allows, units have improved since the AVIC-N4 released in '07.

6. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Frodoz.... Yeah I will be calling them on Tuesday to check and see what they say. I know the higher the voltage the better the amp works (or plays well with others).

I am not sure that I really want something (or need rather) something other than playing the radio and DVD's and IF I can get by with the HU I have that would be great, if JL tells me that I SHOULD get the 5v preouts well then I might have to look into that then.

I guess I am on the search for HU's now. :)

Thanks again for the help.

Any other thoughts?

Ryan

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "Any other thoughts?"

Thanks for understanding.
    Use real copper wire, not clad. Of "current" HUs, I think Kenwood is best, overall.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The amp will work fine with a 2v input. Yes higher voltage is better but it's not like the system will sound terrible or be low on output with that voltage. People ran great sounding systems back in the day and output voltage from most high end decks were .500v!

If you like your deck you can look into a line driver like those offered by Audio Control. You can get a new deck if you like but dvd headunits are not super cheap so if you like yours then you have other options to increase voltage and clean up the signal.

I do agree that you should buy the best head unit you can afford but if you're on a budget and already have equipment you sometimes make small sacrifices.

9. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can't help you with the other stuff, but I put Hertz 6.5 component speakers in my Highlander Hybrid and they are quite good- better than I expected for not having been familiar with Hertz. Even with the factory head unit, the midrange and highs are so much better that it's like I had cotton balls in my ears before. I suspect this is true of most better quality component speakers. I got the entry level component model as it was supposed to be a better match with factory power in terms of efficiency. If you're going with one of the higher end models, I'm sure they will be awesome.

I did lose more bass output that I thought, as I measured the factory 6x9s not only went much lower in frequency but had more SPL, too. My subwoofer setup resolved that issue, though. Your setup sounds like it will be even better.

I went to a few shops before deciding who was going to mess with my new vehicle. A couple just gave me a bad vibe, even though they had gotten some good reviews (which are always questionable of course). I had a couple minor issues after my install, but the shop resolved them without any hassle. I second making sure they are an authorized installer for the products they are selling you. That way, even if they go under, you can theoretically get service at another authorized installer.

I was surprised at how few dedicated home and car stereo places there are out there compared to just 10 years ago. I can't believe everyone just goes to Best Buy now. Perhaps people just aren't putting in car stereos like they used to?

10. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the notes Darren. I appreciate it. Which hertz did you get? I am probably going with the Hertz HSK163 If I don't go with the DLs I already have.

F8L: sent you a PM. Thanks for all the help already. I really love being able to play DVDs and I haven't seen one under $1000 that does that nowadays. They all do net flicks or web and stream audio. I could care less about all that. I just want to listen to CDs and radio and play DVDs. I guess I need to look at them closer though.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

11. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You might tell him a 09 Camry backup camera fits in the factory location.

12. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My local shop recommneded the ESK 165 mentioned here Top 11 Bargain Speakers - Speaker Reviews - Car Audio and Electronics . I think they are the entry level component speakers. The tweeter sounds great, even in the factory dash location. They suggested a higher end model if I had gone with an external amp, but I can't remember which one. I'm thinking it was the HSK 165, though.

I admit I was skeptical at first, as Hertz is a lesser known brand and they looked a little cheesy on the display. I assumed it was a high markup product independent stores used because the big box companies didn't carry the same line. That may also be true for all I know, but they sound pretty good!