1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New batteries from warrenty in 2016 for Gen 2 - Do they use Gen 3 cells?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mavi, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm curious if the big nimh batteries they use for the Gen 2 prius that Toyota currently sells uses the new Gen3 cells or if dealers are still selling packs the old stock gen 2 cells/modules?

#1 Mavi, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All the battery packs have a production date code, they use only the newest manufactured modules....whether you want to call them Gen3 or Gen2. They don't sit around waiting for buyers.

Mavi likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am unsure who 'they' is, but let me try to work it out.
    If you get a HV Battery from Toyota, it will be the same exact model as came with your car, when it was new.
    So far as I know, all Toyota dealers use the Toyota battery originally made for your car.

Due to a weakness in the Gen 1 HV battery design, many third party vendors used Gen 2 cells in Gen 1 cases

I have not heard of a weakness in the Gen 2 design that the Gen 3 is better at. Nor have I heard of third party vendors using Gen 3 cells in Gen 2 rebuilds. (but I may simply be ignorant)