1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New battery arrived = Prius Lives again.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by adric22, Jan 6, 2010.

1. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is a follow-up to the Prius I bought for $2,800. never could get it to start. Well, the new battery arrived yesterday and it even had brand-new bus-bars and sense wires on it which my toyota friend says is unusual. It took about 2 hours to get all the parts transfered from the old battery (computer, relays, gas collectors, etc..) and to get the battery into the car. It started up first time with no problems. It showed an ABS code for a couple of miles, which eventually turned off. Apparently this is normal. So anyway, as soon as the license plates arrive I can start driving it. I'll need to get all of the fluids changed as the previous owner never did and it is well beyond the point they need to be changed with 150K on the car.

1 person likes this.
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great to hear. The new and improved pack (no more corrosion issue) should last way more than 150k miles.

Don't forget to update your profile as you are now a Prius owner!

3. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's great news.:high5: What year is the Prius?
    Are you talking about the big battery pack? Did a Toyota dealer do it? May I ask how much the batteries cost? labor costs?
    I'd love to see some pics of the Prius. Any pics of the battery installation?

(sorry for all the questions)

4. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With 150K, surely the fluids not changed do NOT include motor oil? congrats on the car!

5. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I certainly hope not. :) I was referring to the coolant, transaxle fluid, and brake-fluid.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Smart. Congrats!
    I love frugal, environmental stories ;)

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow sweet!

did they give you a new 1.5G battery or the newer 2G battery?

8. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It is difficult to say for sure. I didn't disassemble the pack. The only way I know to tell the difference is to look at the side of a module and see if it is metallic or plastic. I figure it doesn't matter that much being the car has 157,000 miles it isn't likely to outlast the new battery pack one way or another.

1 person likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A photo of the tops of the modules through the air inlet would be enough:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well statultra noticed a difference in mpg btwn the 1.5G battery pack and the 2G battery pack. Has your mpg gone up? (well.. I guess it's hard to say in the winter)

11. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, it will be even more difficult to say since I never owned this car with the previous battery. Remember, I bought it two weeks ago with a dead battery,

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congratulations, glad that you had success with the battery installation.

I would say that it would be highly unusual for a new battery to arrive with noticeably deteriorated busbars, since corrosion is one source of battery trouble.

Did you notice whether the battery modules have sequential serial numbers? If yes, then it is likely that the battery is factory-fresh, so all parts should be brand new. If the serial numbers were not sequential then you probably have a "rebuilt" battery. Not sure whether Toyota is refurbing batteries for spare parts inventory, or not.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Dept. of Energy fleet study and Patrick's battery replacement both showed evidence of a gradual decrease in MPG over a 4-6 month interval. Then the mileage remained constant for the rest of the data.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

14. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think you mis-understood. Typically the batteries that come from Toyota have no bus-bars on them at all. usually that is one of the many parts you'd need to transfer from the old battery module to the new one. But apparently Toyota is now including new bus-bars with the new batteries, which I think is great.

15. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Interesting story!
    • What year Prius?
    • How long had the car been battery-dead & dormant before you picked it up for $2800?
    • Body & interior ok?
    • Tires?
    • What was the cost of the new battery? And its installation?
    Hard to imagine a Prius owner neglecting fluids (& presumably other maintenance items), but , you never know ....

Happy Trails!

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm, I recall that busbars were provided when the battery on my 2001 was replaced back in 2006. However I don't have photos to prove or disprove my recollection.

In any event, glad to hear that new busbars were provided in your case. Certainly when the Classic battery is replaced, the existing busbars are likely to be quite corroded so you'd want to replace them if replacements are not provided with the new battery.

17. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It is a 2002, I believe it had been out of commission for about 2 months, maybe 3. Body has some minor door-dings, but otherwise everything else looks pretty much like-new inside and out. Tires were worn out, I just put some new ones on yesterday. So far my investment in the vehicle is:
    • Vehicle-$2,800
    • Tax, Title, License - $280
    • New Battery (and tax) - $2,000
    • New Tires - $330

So at this point I have $5,400 invested in the vehicle. I think I've done pretty well. Even though I've seen 1st gen Prius's selling for that amount on Craigslist, typically those vehicles would have still needed new tires and probably a new battery very soon.

But the upgrades aren't done yet. I ordered a Plug-In kit from Enginer but it hasn't even shipped yet. And I am about to replace the fluids and try to get it inspected.

1 person likes this.
  18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Looking forward to reading about your Enginer/NHW11 experiences.

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There is a thread over in Ecomodder about an NHW20 getting an Enginer kit. Apparently it is based upon providing extra charge to the traction battery. Curious because I remember posting in "Prius Technical Stuff" claiming the extra charge would not be used.

Bob Wilson

20. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just a little update here. A few days ago I put new spark plugs in, I think the ones I removed are the originals. And I put new tires on the car. Last night I got the back seats back in the car, the engine coolant changed, and the transaxle fluid changed. Again, I believe all were original fluids. Hard to believe none of this had been changed yet at 157,000 miles. My license plates arrived yesterday too.

I drove the car to work this morning for the first time. It still doesn't have an inspection sticker, but that will be remedied as soon as the new insurance card arrives. Anyway, the car seems to drive great and now that it has rear seats it is very quiet and smooth.

However, there are still some things to fix:
    • The power lock actuator on the driver's door doesn't work.
    • Inverter coolant needs changing.
    • the "audio" button on the radio has to be pushed just right to get a response.
    • Need to get a duplicate key made.

Those are all minor things. And Of course, I am still waiting on my Enginer plug-in kit to arrive. So overall, I think this is going to make a great car for me and so far (including the plug-in kit) I only have about $7,000 invested in it. So that makes a pretty cheap plug-in Hybrid!

I imagine more and more of these cars are going to start showing up for sale on the cheap with dead batteries. I think they are definitely a good choice for a fixer-upper for guys like us.