1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New battery for a 2002 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lhbowen, Apr 21, 2006.

1. lhbowen

lhbowen New Member

After accusing me of "running out of gas" and charging me a diagnostic fee for the acusation, my service center finally found something wrong the 3rd time I took my baby in. They replaced the drive battery with a new battery and said there was some leakage (ouch) which they implied might be traced back to the recall work on the battery.

Has anyone else gotten a new battery? I seem to be getting better milage, should this be the case?

And the service guy was surprised when I asked for a refund for the diagnostic fee!!! After he had patiently explaned many times that they had to change the fee if they did no warentee work. So when they did find the supposed problem and it was under warrentee he was surprised I would ask for the money back and rather coldly said he could refund it if I insisted. I compromised and said we could just take the amount off the 60k mile check up.

2. cdavid

cdavid Member

Remember, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Sorry to hear of this problem, and that your first post was not entirely good news. Please tell us all the details you can, like year of car, when the battery recall was (previously) done, if there is a price for the battery mentioned on your paperwork, whether the battery ecu was also replaced. Basically anything you can find out.

It is certainly possible that fuel economy would have decreased with the HV battery not performing well.

This will not be much consolation, but I have done my darndest to keep track of these problems, and yours is about #10. All the internet groups that I visit might give me "access" to 1/5 of the 52,000 or so Classic Prius in the US.