1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new belkin bluetooth ipod adapter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by hnational, Dec 17, 2004.

1. hnational

hnational Junior Member

hey everybody looking for a better ipod solution on packages with bluetooth, even though i'm still waiting for my prius, i came across this annoncement for a new product that might work without dismantling the dash!
    what does this do for using a phone?

http://www.ipodlounge.com/ipodnews_comment...id=5850_0_7_0_C

Exclusive: Belkin's TuneStage Bluetooth stereo solution

Discussing the future of its iPod accessory line with iPodlounge today, third-party developer Belkin Corporation has disclosed details of its newest iPod accessory, provisionally titled "TuneStage," a Bluetooth Class 2 stereo solution for the iPod.

TuneStage will consist of two components - a receiver and a transmitter - which will connect any iPod via wireless Bluetooth link to any stereo system. The receiver will connect to a stereo via 3.5-inch minijack or RCA left and right ports, and Belkin is currently considering whether to additionally include an optical TOSLink output on the final product. TuneStage's transmitter will attach to the top of the iPod, enabling it to wirelessly broadcast audio to the receiver and act like a "remote control" for the playback of iPod audio, explained Belkin product manager Randall Stowasser.

Numerous design factors can impact the audio quality of Bluetooth signals, but Belkin is "extremely pleased" with the sound quality of the TuneStage, according to Stowasser. It will output digital stereo sound taken from the iPod's headphone jack, which while not line-out quality is likely to satisfy the needs of most iPod users. iPodlounge will have photography of TuneStage closer to the product's first public showings at the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show and the San Francisco Macworld Expo next month.

2. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You won't be able to connect via the bluetooth that is being used for the phone. You will have to still access the back of the radio and put the bluetooth reciever in the back. I wounder if it will interfere with the phone bluetooth though...

3. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There two issues with Bluetooth.

1. Very few cars have this option. Among Prius only Nav package has it. My car, for instance, doesn't have BT support.

2. Sound quality. iPod output is analog, not digital. Therefore Belkin will be converting analog signal back to digital and BT interface in the car will then convert it back to analog. D/A and A/D conversions are complex things and I doubt small $49 adapter will do it right. I am also not sure about quality of BT sound in the car Nav system.

'Extremely pleased' well, let's just say, XM is 'exteremly pleased' with 96Kbps stream.

4. NiMH

NiMH New Member

This is a HUGE point. Plus I expect the car's BT interface may not be designed for stereo since it is really just a handsfree unit. I even wonder if it has any bass response -- it may be just designed for voice. I doubt it would be satisfactory.

5. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    However, I must admit, Belkin mentions BT adapter that connects to RCA inputs and possible Toslink (read: digital) output. However, this brings us back to square one: car radio must have AUX input and very few factory units have one (a lot of aftermarket head units do). Few high-end units like Clarion and Pioneer have digital input, but it is designed for their own CD changers so I doubt it is compatible with standard digital stream.