1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New BMW 1 Series Diesel Gets 62 mpg

Discussion in 'Diesels' started by eheath, Feb 20, 2012.

1. eheath

eheath Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can't work out if it's US or UK mpg. But this 1 series diesel is a manual transmission and the economy is gained by a crude start/stop system. This system is only available with manual transmission so is unlikely to be popular in America, especially considering this is a BMW.

Otherwise, the BMW diesel engines are probably the best out there. Infact, Toyota Europe are to start using BMW diesel engines in their vehicles to save on r & d costs.

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Manual transmissions are common in US market BMW 1 and 3 series cars. The bigger models tend to have more automatics.

4. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Many Euro diesels are in "hybrid territory" when considering the euro cycle for fuel economy.
    Once the diesels get tested under the modern EPA fuel cycle, more realistic estimates are shown for US customers.

5. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wondered that as well, but I found the L/100km value (3.8 L/100 km), so it would be 62 mpg US.

6. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it actually gets that on highway it's impressive, though pretty dang slow for a BMW (same 0-60 as a Prius). I guess its city mileage to be in the 30's.

7. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    It would not be. As PriQ pointed out, it's on the NEDC test.
    Look at the CO2 emission it's 99 g/km. The Prius gets 89 gCO2/km on the NEDC test.

Diesel stinks (but this is a separate issue).

8. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In the article, it mentioned that it got 62 miles per gallon. But didn't mention if it was imperial gallons or US gallons. They did give the Liters per 100 km, thus it allowed the units for the 62 miles per gallon to be clarified as US gallons instead of Imperial Gallons. That was the question that Grumpy Cabbie was asking.

What the real world mileage will be is anyone's guess.

9. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, did not understand you.

Comparing CO2 emissions to the Prius, and correcting for the volumetric energy content of the two fuels, my guess will be 47 to 49 mpg on the EPA test cycle.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Diesel has about 12% more CO2 emissions per unit volume of fuel, so the MPG of this car is the same as the Prius to within a rounding error in the NEDC testing performed. I am unsure if the 62 mpg is highway only or combined.

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I get 50 mpg same as the prius, but that's 50 miles per gallon diesel versus mpg gasoline. I don't trust the euro test to equate to the epa, but its likely this car would get better mileage on the highway and worse in the city than the prius. I don't expect bmw to bring it to america though. Diesel does release more CO2 per gallon than gasoline, so slightly higher ghg and it should have significantly higher NOx. All and all a very low ghg producing car.

12. ataylorracing

ataylorracing ataylorracing

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Diesels....use a less refined but MUCH more $$$$ fuel! I figured that in when we chose a Prius over a TDI VW....oh yeah, and reliability too.

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The price of diesel has gone up because it is now further refined. Demand in the commercial aviation fuel and home heating markets doesn't help.

This just muddies the issue. Premium gasoline has a lower energy density than regular. Shouldn't we adjust the tested fuel economy of the Smart fortwo up, if we are going to adjust diesel ratings? If the discussion is on fuel efficiency per energy content, then drop the volume figures and use a measurement for energy density.

14. eheath

eheath Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, in terms of absolutes, I agree. Of course, the EPA had enough trouble figuring out how to measure the fuel economy of EVs so I don't think this will be something the agency would wish to tackle at this point. :)