1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Brake actuator failed in 15 months-toyota won't help-2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jbirdawg, Aug 25, 2023.

1. jbirdawg

jbirdawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We replaced the actuator on my son's 2008 Prius(120k miles) end of April 2022. He haas only put 12K miles on it in 16 months. Close to $3K for the repair. Our Toyota dealer, who performed the repair, said it had a 12 month warranty but that we should appeal to corporate Toyota. We did and were denied any help. My wife tried everything, including letting them know we have two Toyotas and a Lexus, to no avail. It seem like a short life on a part that should last 10 years at least. I am shocked it failed so soon and somewhat shocked we didn't get some kind of relief from Toyota. We bought the car used in 2017 from an independent dealer and took it to our local Toyota dealer and paid for an inspection. Now I find out there was a semi-recall on the actuator at that time. The dealer didn't mention that as an issue. I am not sure if there is something about the Gen 2 that causes the issue with the actuator or if it is just the part. I am not willing to repair it again at that expense. The car may only be worth 4-5K now. It is in pretty good other than a good many paint flecks off of it. The dealer has a 2011 gen 3 with 100K miles on it. I may be interested in seeing if they will give us something in the way of a discount on the price of that car because of the issue. Then again, I am a little Prius nervous now. I never heard of a brake actuator before this car. Then to get the shock of the cost of that repair the first time. Maybe I switch car models. What is anyone's thoughts on the upgrade to gen 3 difference and should I be nervous about getting another Prius at that mileage? It is for my son who is just out of college.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    disappointing for sure. and guess what? it's an issue in gen 3 too.

prius has a few very expensive systems that are sometimes prone to failure.

it has been frustrating to watch them deny major problems over the years, but we've been driving toyotas for so long, i don't even know how other companies compare anymore.

jbirdawg likes this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Gen3 is not an upgrade. It has the brake booster (actuator), inverter and excessive oil consumption leading to head gasket or complete engine failure. Most people would say gen2 is more reliable.

I would go conventional Toyota Camry, Corolla or Honda Civic in your price range. If the Prius is otherwise clean and everything else works, I would get an independent shop to install a used brake booster and then sell it.

Budget Oldies But Goodies (w Lower Miles)

2000-04 Avalons (no rust)
    2004-06 Camry V6
    2005-08 Corolla (very good)

Avoid these models:
    • 2007-2011 Toyota Camry HV (Hybrid)
    • 2007-09 Toyota Camry 2.4L (07 Camry is the worst, best 13-15)
    • 2009-2011 Toyota Camry 2.5L 2AR Engine
    • 2009-11 Toyota Corolla XRS
    • 2009-13 Toyota Matrix 2AZ Engine
    • 2006-08 Toyota RAV4
    • 2009-2012 Toyota Rav4 2.5L 2AR Engine
    • 2007-08 Toyota Solara
    • 2007-09 Scion tC
    • 2008-15 Scion xB
    • 2010-14 Prius 1.8L
    • 2005 Avalon V6 (vvti gear)
    • 2007-10 Sienna (vvti gear)

WHCSC and jbirdawg like this.
  4. jbirdawg

jbirdawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    yeah, like I said, 3 of our 4 family vehicles are Toyota/Lexus. No probs with the '16 Camry or 350 Lexus w 150K on it. I would have bought a 4 runner except it was 7K more for a '15 w similar mileage than my Honda Pilot. Second Pilot. Sold my '04 w 275k and got the '15 w 60K on it. I just can't believe that part failed w 12K miles and is that expensive. I face the exact same thing happening again and that is unacceptable for my idea of a Toyota. Maybe getting a deal on the '11 they have would be the only way I get any $$ return on my loss. I guess I could sell my CAT for more than the car is worth now.

bisco likes this.
  5. jbirdawg

jbirdawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wow! Thanks! Good detailed info. Appreciate it!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    12k is unheard of until now. while many failures are reported here on the originals, i've not seen a replacement failure before.
    it's such a little thing for toyota to offer help in some form at least. and the dealer should at least replace it at their cost.
    these companies are all so greedy. but i have to warn you off the 2011, bad news

jbirdawg likes this.
  7. jbirdawg

jbirdawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for that tip! Think I am going full petro. Just thought it may be the only simpathy I get from Toyota.

bisco likes this.
  8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do you know what the specific failure is on the replacement brake actuator assembly? Can you post any codes from thr dealer's diagnostic printout?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. jbirdawg

jbirdawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don’t know. I am working out of town. My wife got the bad news from the service tech and then called Toyota corporate herself. Would it help to know the codes. I am sure I could get them.

10. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably worth it to take it to a well regarded independent Toyota repair shop in your area and pay a little to have them look into it. At the very least they can give you the actual failure codes which you could post in this forum. (Odd that the dealer didn't supply those.) I think for that part to fail that quickly it would either have to have been defective from the start, or the techs who installed it contaminated the fluid somehow and the gunk or grit eventually killed the part. When DIYer's replace that part it is pretty challenging because there is a long specific sequence of steps needed while Techstream is running to push all the air out of the new one. A dealer Tech is supposed to get that right, but who knows, and leaving air in the system I suppose might cause it to fail early. (Although I would have expected some sort of brake performance issue from the moment it was installed if there was trapped air.)

They did use a new one, right? There are remanufactured units around like this:

ABS Control Module | 587-765 | Remanufactured ABS Pump Assembly | Dorman Products

but I wouldn't ever trust one.

jbirdawg likes this.
  11. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    As I said in earlier postings, it's the unpredictable quality of the aluminum castings that make up the bore of the master cylinder and the pump in the brake booster.

As liquid aluminum alloy is poured of injected into the mould, the surface of the liquid is cooler than the mass of the fluid, When these surfaces contact, there are contact boundary layers with micro cracks that do not fuse together completely into one homogenous crystalline mass.

I don;t know how well the cylinder bores are inspected after they are bored and honed. The quality of these surfaces would likely predict the service longevity of the component.

How long these components last is basically, the luck of the draw. Unfortunately, like winning a lottery, the OP had the rarity of two unlucky draws. Sad, but those are the facts.

12. jbirdawg

jbirdawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I spoke with my service tech at the dealership late sat and he didn’t know about Toyotas decision to deny applying the warranty beyond 12 months. He said he would talk to mgmt there and see what they could do for us, if anything, since they performed the replacement. He said he could pull up the order and give me the codes when we speak again mon or Tues. so we will see. The question I have for myself is whether to sell or not should we repair it. It is an ‘08 with about 125 miles with the original battery. I assume that will be next and could be soon.

bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, it's certainly possible. but 125k is low for an '08, and you have to weigh the cost of these repairs vs buying something else.

jbirdawg likes this.
  14. jbirdawg

jbirdawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    finally got the code. Only threw one code and it was C1256

15. jbirdawg

jbirdawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota dealership that put the last one on, that failed, said they would replace this one for $2500, out the door, and gave us a free rental car for a couple of days. We decided to go ahead with it. Then we will decide whether to sell it and probably only make a couple of thousand before getting something else, or keep it and see how it goes. Only 125K on a 2008 gen 2. Maybe the battery will last a while. I think Toyota did a nice job on interior space design with these cars. Sucks to have bad luck with it. We have had zero trouble with our '16 camry or '11 Lexus 350.

bisco likes this.