1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Brake Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by saechaka, Mar 8, 2006.

1. saechaka

saechaka Member

Well, it all started when the weather started getting a little cold around 35,000 miles. Whenever I pressed all the way down on the brakes and released the pedal a little bit, there would be a creak type sound. At 35,000miles the dealer couldn't recreate it, so 3 months later and at 45,000 miles I take her in and they tell me it's going to cost me about $600 to replace something in the brake piston? thats used in my 2005 prius that is not present in regular gas engine cars. Just thought I'd report this and see if anyone else has the same problem.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you reported the problem at 35k- i'm assuming you were still within the time constraints of the warranty since your car is an 05.

i'd tell them it should be covered under warranty because it started before warranty ended, you took it in before warranty ended, and although it's noone's fault that the car was on its best behavior when it was in the shop you shouldn't be paying the price for something that could have been addressed during warranty time.

this is why, if you're coming close to the end of your warranty... insist any problems are fixed once and for all no matter what it takes.

3. saechaka

saechaka Member

i should have been smarter when i was nearing the end of my warranty and made them fix it. hopefully toyota will take care of it. if not, i'll probably give toyota a call myself and give them an earful.

4. saechaka

saechaka Member

gotta give a thumbs up to toyota. they were willing to fix it under the warranty. now i just gotta get my service manager a cup of coffee. moral of the story, fix your problems before warranty expires.

5. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow nice! Nice to hear toyota's taking care of you!

6. saechaka

saechaka Member

i thought i'd update even though no one seems interested, but just to keep as a record. there was a problem with the abs fluctuator.

on a side note, driving this loaner 2005 corolla just sucks. i don't know about the mileage claims but first tank was only 250miles and second tank looks like i'll hit around 300. i drive the same as i drive my prius too, which is fast. my last tank before this 2 week long rental was 52mpg. can't wait to get the prius back.

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ahh, glad they took care of it for ya.

sounds like the ABS actuator? i don't think there are any fluctuators in the prius ;)

nice info to know- DH likes to hear about problems and how they were solved. helps build his own personal knowledge base. thanks and hope ya get the prius back soon! :)

8. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just tried it and I have the same creak type sound. I'm going to contact my dealer now. If my car is stillunder warrenty, so I need to pay any extra fees?

9. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you sure you're not just hearing the small electric pump connected to the brake system? I hear it all the time, just about every other pedal depress.

10. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When I pressed the brake pedel, I could hear the electric pump. Pressed the brake even harder and hold it. I could hear the creak sound intermediately.

11. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You might get the service manager a bottle of wine...

12. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a new one on me. I haven't run into any brake noises around here. When first reading the post I thought it might be the rear brakes making noise. When vehicles get some miles/time on them,the rear shoes will make a creaking noise as they move on the backing plate. Normally when I get one doing this,removing the shoes,clean the contact points on the backing plate,then applying a type of anti-sieze to those points will eliminate the creak. But then again sounds like yours was something totally different, B) .

13. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(saechaka @ Mar 8 2006, 05:39 PM) [snapback]222427[/snapback]</div>
    I had problem with brake (master cylinder) for my Prius before and almost cause fender bender 2yrs ago.
    But your case is noise.... you and me is same case its realy difficult to recreat the problem. Is your Prius is still under warranty? If so Toyota should take care your problem.

14. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Speedracer @ Apr 7 2006, 11:13 PM) [snapback]236634[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. My 2005 prius has only 5000 miles. I have made my appointment to send my car for check up on Monday. It's Karl Marlone Toyota at Albuquerque, New Mexico. I will post the result.

15. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Additional info. I actually sent my car to the dealer for oil change on 4/5 wednesday and I started notice the creak noise from Friday. Is it really the ABS Fluctuator problem??? Can anyone verify? please..

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    To be covered by the warranty, it is not necessary to actually have the problem fixed before the expiration of the warranty. It is only necessary to document that the problem exists.

If you have a problem and they cannot fix it, or cannot find it because it's acting properly when you take it in, get a receipt that shows you told them about the problem within the warranty period. Then, if the problem returns, or gets bad enough that they are able to see it when you take it in, they know it really started within the warranty period.

It sounds like this is what happened in your case: They remembered, or had a record, of your original complaint, and acknowledged it as a problem that started within the warranty period.

Of course, sometimes they'll honor a warranty for a short time after it expires, but don't count on that. And it's no good saying, this problem began at 34,000 miles but I was too busy to bring it in until 36,500.

17. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Let's say if thay have identified the ABS problem and fixed it. How do I test the ABS system?

18. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yoyoman @ Apr 8 2006, 01:20 AM) [snapback]236670[/snapback]</div>
    if you call it the ABS fluctuator you'll get a grin from the service writer... the correct term is "actuator" if you read my post above.

i hardly think an oil change would cause this.

the hardest problem, like speedracer pointed out, is recreating the sound while the car is in the tech's hands. once they hear it a good diagnostic tech can sort it out.

as far as testing the fix... i don't think there's a specific test. you can make sure the noise is gone and make a test panic stop somewhere in an empty parking lot to be sure the ABS kicks in.

19. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 8 2006, 08:32 AM) [snapback]236754[/snapback]</div>
    A wet road surface makes it much easier to feel the ABS kicking in.

20. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    As usual, I took the car back to the dealer this morning to check up. By lunch, they have called me to pick up my car. No problem has been found since they couldn't reproduce the same creak noise again. Neither do I. They told me that I have step the brake too hard.???? I have also told them that if I get the same noise again, I will take the car back again.

Just wondering, how many prius owners have this problem? Am I just too sensivity??