1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Buy--Maintenance Rip-Off?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by red-hot-prius, Nov 9, 2010.

1. red-hot-prius

red-hot-prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    First, let me hang my head in shame and admit that two days ago I IMPULSE BOUGHT a red hot Gen III Prius III with nav package. Don't ask me if I got a good price, I have no idea because I IMPULSE BOUGHT a red hot Gen III Prius. I didn't even know the Blue Book on my trade-in and gave it to them. I know I won't regret the purchase, but I will forever lament that I went armed without any research. Even my dog could have done better at negotiating.

Okay, but here's the main question. It's not too late to cancel the extra maintenance stuff I bought. But it SEEMED like a good deal. Here's what I got (through Hendrick Autoguard, which is the name plastered all around the service department and I don't quite understand what that is. Is Hendrick a contracted servicer? I've only ever owned Fords and my Ford shop was a Ford shop, no other names):

I bought an extended service agreement for 72 months, 75K with a $50 deductible for $1,098.

I also bought a PrePaid Maintenance Care for regular maintenance from 30K to 75K for $510.

The way the salesman-cum-financial guy explained the Toyota warranty to me, there was nothing after 3yr/36K except for a 5yr/60K powertrain. When I asked him if the hybrid system was included in the powertrain warranty he said no. But I had remembered seeing someplace that there was a special warranty on the hybrid system, and sure enough, in my warranty guide book is says that the hybrid system has a warranty for 8years/100K. He didn't tell me about that. In essence, then, isn't Toyota providing me with pretty good warranty on the powertrain and hybrid components well past 36K? Is $1100 for B to B up to 75K a waste of $ or pretty good if you're someone who doesn't like surprises.

I can cancel one or both of these additional packages (the prepaid and the 75k B to B). On the latter, it seemed to me that $1,100 for what amounted for coverage from 35K to 75K, or about 3 years, was not a bad investment to risk ratio, considering that one major repair could wipe that out. But now I'm questioning the purchase of any additional warranty.

Anyway - any advice here would be most welcome.

2. indyV

indyV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Extended warranty/ Service contracts can be bought through PriusChat at a discounted price.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/sponsor...rius-extended-warranty-service-contracts.html

I would cancel your extended service agreement and get one through the link above.

I'd also flip through your maintenance guide to see what exactly will be serviced at the 30k and 75k intervals. I passed on pre-paid maintenance, but I do plan on picking up an extended warranty.

Also be aware that all new Toyota's come with 2 year 25k maintenance plans

1 person likes this.
  3. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very good advice....

Enjoy your new car. Even if you paid the sticker price, you still have a great car that should provide you with many years of reliable service. You will appreciate it even more as the price of gas steadily climbs.

Keith :welcome:

1 person likes this.
  4. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I second (third) the above advice. What's done is done (i.e., what you paid for the car) but cancel the maintenance agreements. Easy to do (I bit at the same bait) just following their instructions and you'll get your check in the mail w/in 30 days.

If you want the agreement--and you don't have to make the decision immediately--I'd second the recommendations to buy through Troy via PC. Welcome, and enjoy the ride.
    ~T

1 person likes this.
  5. kimfacey

kimfacey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    HI there, De ja vu! I also just bought an awesome red Prius III??? They never said it had a number...thats how much I really knew about it! It is a 2010 with the nav package, solar panels leather seats etc. I pick it up tomorrow. I have been driving a 2008 Civic Hybrid but have always secretly wanted a Prius! The warranty package they have tried to sell me is over $2,000 and I only paid $800 for a similar package on my Honda. Seems ridiculous and I declined. Is the package being sold and recommended on line recognized at all dealerships including Canada? I would hate to purchase and then find it was useless here in Edmonton. I am also a bit worried after reading a lot of the posts over the last few days on this site. It sounds like driving this car may require a lot of thinking and potentially a science degree!

1 person likes this.
  6. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cancel all that crap now.

Also never do the dealer-suggested "30k" and "60k" type intervals, they're overpaid rubbish. Go with the manual's recommendations only.

Be careful paying for any extended warranty. On the balance you lose money on them and this is a Toyota not a 1990 Chrysler.

1 person likes this.
  7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes I totally agree, cancel it as soon as you can.

You have 3 years or 36K miles to decide if you want an extended warranty or not so wait. If you still want one after that time contact Troy through this site and get a decent price on it.

I think the guy at the dealership is right, 5yr/60K mile power train warranty doesn't cover some of the hybrid system, but that's not the whole story. The hybrid system is covered under the hybrid system warranty which is longer than the power train warranty, actual coverage depends on what state you live in, 8yrs/100K miles minimum.

There are probably not very many of us who have not paid to much for a car at one time or another. After a few years it won't matter at all. At least you paid to much for a good car, a lot of people pay premium prices for junk, and red is a pretty Prius color.

1 person likes this.
  8. trifectayoubetcha

trifectayoubetcha New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    you paid too much! people like you make it bad for every1 else who actually does their homework and research the car!!! stop overpaying!!!

9. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My god. Give the guy a break, he came to us for advice and support. He did not make anything bad for anybody! He came forth quite honestly. I wish I had a pretty new red PRIUS!:cheer2:

6 people like this.
  10. red-hot-prius

red-hot-prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is excellent advice, (almost) everyone. Thanks. I figured that canceling was the way to go. I'm on it.

11. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you're joking but even if not people who overpay probably actually make it possible for others to grind down a lower cost.

Anyway, post above me is probably right at some point all of us have or will overpay for a car. Or something.

1 person likes this.