1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Buyer - Dealer Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by forsaken1111, Oct 7, 2009.

1. forsaken1111

forsaken1111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hello everyone, my first post here. I spoke to a dealer yesterday about purchasing a new 2010 Prius. He has 3 of the model I want (Prius V) coming in this month which are not spoken for already. I have decided to go ahead and pick up the Prius V with the technology package.

My question is this: What should I ask him when it comes time to talk again? I have browsed these forums a bit and picked up a few questions already, like making sure it has the new version 9.1 nav software, but want to make sure I am not missing anything that I should ask or get included in the sale.

Any suggestions?

2. kamick81

kamick81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome to the forums. I haven't been an owner or member long myself but have found a ton of very useful information here.

Your questions is fairly general but I would just make sure to ask plenty of questions regarding warranty and maintenance. There is some speculation about what the actual oil change interval is supposed to be on this new generation Prius; so getting that information from the dealer would be good to hear.

Enjoy your new car and be sure to show her to us when she finally arrives!

Kevin

3. forsaken1111

forsaken1111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you Kevin! I will certainly ask about the oil change frequency, I read a thread about that just the other day and was curious. If I get a solid answer I will post it here, along with my buying experience. I realize my question is very general, but I really don't know what else to ask them about.

Does the dealer generally agree to include customization with the purchase of the car? I'm talking about changing things like the back-up beeping, for example.

4. filiberti

filiberti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would ask if it's gonna have SAFETY CONNECT , the new Toyota version of ON-STAR. That is what I am waiting for in the new models . It supposed to be in models manufactured after August. Good luck with the model V

5. forsaken1111

forsaken1111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I will ask about the Safety Connect system. You wished me luck with the Prius V, do you think I should not have gone for that model?

6. priora

priora Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I picked up my IV this past weekend in NC and it had Safety Connect. I didn't really get a straight answer on the oil change bit.

Be sure to alert your salesman about any options you are planning to request so they can have it done before you pick it up.

I learn by seeing so I asked my salesman to show me how to use the features I plan to use a lot, such as bluetooth, moon roof, navigation, etc. Just so I could get my self started.

7. forsaken1111

forsaken1111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well I picked up my Winter Grey V yesterday, it's beautiful. It does indeed have Safety Connect, free for one year and thereafter costs something like 120 dollars a year billed monthly, according to the finance manager.

On the oil change question, the salesperson I dealt with told me that it had not yet been officially changed but he expected it to soon be changed to 10,000 miles after the first 5k oil change.

8. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Forsaken,

Congrats on the purchase! I wish I had been able to get the ATP on my V, however there was a certain time constraint involved, so I met all my other needs and called it a day. :)

I don't think Filiberti was being a harbinger -- just wishing you many happy years with your new car.

9. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The oil change interval is going to be what it is. If they're using a good synthetic, 10k is fine. For our Lexus RX400h they still do 5k changes AND use synthetic (Mobil 1). I mentioned to my SA that 5k seemed like overkill with synthetic. He agreed but said that the tires need to be rotated and balanced every 5k so their policy was to just do the oil change at the same time. Because it's a Lexus, it's of course more expensive than a Toyota.

You can try to haggle on price but don't expect much, if anything. Even though the cash for clunkers program ended in August, the new Prius's are still in high demand. They typically don't need to discount them, they know the guy who walks in the door right behind you will pay sticker.

EDIT:
    OOPS, just noticed the dates on the posts.

10. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    forsaken,

Where did you buy? We're in Vienna and bought ours at Ourisman Fairfax in the C4C program (really good deal for us). They wouldn't knock anything off sticker.

11. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would not even ask about the oil change because I think there is no point.

Unless they can give you something that is legally binding to Toyota and in writing, it will not be useful. Say 3 years from now, you engine develops sludge and dies. You talk to Toyota and they refuse citing bad oil change schedule. What you you going to say, "The salesman told me its OK"? Maybe the salesman told you something to make the sale. Toyota is not going to be responsible for a bad salesman. Do you have it in writing? Even if you have it in writing, it may be between you and your dealership - not official Toyota policy. So you have to go after the dealer - hopefully, you are still in the neighborhood.

Or you are trying to sell the car. The buyer cites your bad maintenance record. You tell them, the dealer said it is OK. Good luck.

12. R2Pre2

R2Pre2 Feel the Force!

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Congratulations! You'll love the V - it has a nice sporty feel. Make sure your dealer registers your car with Safety Connect today and guard your key fobs!

13. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just picked my V w/ATP up less than 3 weeks ago, I think you will like it.

Assuming that the car will be coming from being offloaded at the port, it will have Safety Connect, USB, and the 9.1 Navi disk. You will see when it gets in but I wouldn't worry about those things.

Here are my suggestions:
    1. Make sure any options (Remote Engine Starter, etc) are installed at the port to save yourself some money and to make sure it's done right. You may have to actually put down a deposit though.
    2. Have the dealer customize the backup beep to a single beep or else it will drive you up the wall.
    3. If you don't require a front license plate, tell the dealer not to install the bracket.

Good luck with the car.

14. forsaken1111

forsaken1111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I bought it in Herndon, VA at the Koons Tyson Toyota. They refused to negotiate as well on the price.

Thanks! Yeah so far I've driven it 72 miles and the tank still reads as full. We registered Safety Connect before I left the dealership, and I have my spare fob in my fireproof safe (along with social security card, Birth Certificate, etc). I love the way the V handles, and the nav is great so far. Much better than my old TomTom, much more responsive.

Well I've already picked up the car as I said. I didn't get any additional options other than the ATP, but I checked and it does have the USB, 9.1 Navi, and Safety Connect. I talked to the dealer about the backup beep and they said they will do it for free at my first 5k oil change.

Unfortunately we do require the front plate here, so that bracket had to go on. :(

15. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  16. forsaken1111

forsaken1111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Alright so a few days have passed now, I've driven a grand total of 108 miles (and an average of 42mpg, not bad for a new Prius?).

I have to say that the car has totally transformed driving for me. With my old (pretty crappy) vehicle I would dread driving. The car did not operate well, it had no navigation system and relied on printed google maps or a tiny map view on my iphone.

I guess part of this is going from an old busted 2002 to a brand new 2010 model as well, because the difference is amazing. Even my girlfriend has commented on my willingness to go out more and get things done, or simply drive around to different stores with her.

I have to say, the Radar Cruise Control has really sold me on the ATP alone. Using that on the highway when we visit my girlfriend's mom, about an hour and a half away, is really stress-free driving.