1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured New Cali Cars to be ZEV by 2040

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Jan 4, 2018.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    In 2040, all new cars sold in California would be emission-free, bill says - San Francisco Chronicle

Will the Auto industry fight this tooth & nail? It'd seem highly likely, just as performing end runs by purchasing out of state, then moving vehicles to California. Already some folks beat the rules (illegally) on state auto sales taxes in this fashion by purchasing cars in low or zero sales tax states for the requisite time then later registering in the higher taxed state.

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    california banning the rav4 and camry hybrid? Toyota is going to sue and win if this thing passes.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Well let's not forget, Toyota has 18ish years to amortize the value of their R&D, & even if their Lobby loses, there are always other non carb States they can sell in. But I agree, I can hear the battle-cry off on the horizon.

4. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Toyota could be like Mitsubishi in 2040 if they are not serious about EV. At that point, suing CA is least of their problem.

Other automakers are already talking 300+ miles cars and 350kW+ charge rate... in a few years.

EVGo already installing 350kW charging stations when no car can do this fast.... not even Tesla.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Preparing for the future? That's crazy talk!

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Preparing for the future - good thing.
    Pretending we know the future and can force a technology in a short time - bad thing.

2040 is only 22 years away. When california put in the first zev mandate in 28 years ago, it had some crazy ideas about how fast batteries would improve. Then it decided that fuel cells and hydrogen was the way to go. I really don't think the political air resources board has a clue of what is going on.

What california can do is encourage plug ins (including those with engines). What it seems to want to do is over subsidize science experiments, and pull the experiment from other states to its own borders.

In just 22 short years it is highly likely that PHEVs will be able to travel long distances more conveniently and less expensively than long range fast charging bevs or fuel cell vehicles. Outlawing the internal combustion engine from new sales within the state with no clue on if it is economically or environmentally advantageous is just short sited and silly. Sure there are a lot of cities like london that are doing the same fullish thing. Most of these encouraged diesel cars in the past. I don't understand how passing bad laws helps. It does cut off one leg of the stool - hybrid and phev - for r&d and sales in California.

wxman likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pushing too hard, too fast I think. Will lead to all the above, end runs, lawsuits. And frustration, wasted tax dollars. Better to set attainable goals.

austingreen likes this.
  8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Without forcing us into FHoP, this effects all of us as essentially Ca. is saying that Ca. henceforth demands the auto industry (R&D etc) will be controlled by Ca. policies. In other words, there is a known conflict brewing with CARB and EPA, with Congress having ceded partial policy control to CARB (for the purpose of special local air quality concerns). Now Ca. is using the autonomy to force climate change policy, which I would argue was probably not Congress' original intent

9. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting article, but this bill has no shot to be approved into law-mat least not at this time. I'm in favor of reducing emissions to the levels of the Prius, for example. That would still make a world of difference but would face an uphill battle.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The legislative member (& fellow environmentally concerned members) that support the bill can't even get higher CAFE numbers to become law, w/o a war from the auto/truck building lobby. As it is, heavier pickup trucks, SUVs & the like are often exempt from much of CAFE standards. All that to say, by simply raising Cafe standards for all (presuming lawmakers could actually get such a law into effect), the collateral effect is both saving renewables as well as cleaner air, besides better fuel economy. But maybe that's too rational.

11. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    California, for decades, has had an unannounced agenda of "shaming" the US and other states into going green, promoting healthy living practices, and in progressive legislation. I see this 2040 no-emissions bill as no different. Someone has to lead when the U.S. can't or won't. I wish them success.

bisco likes this.
  12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It could be self-selection, a "Grapes of Wrath" emigration effect. The Gestalt is a brain drain from the Midwest and South. Kansas in particularly hard hit but Oklahoma where I grew up is not far behind.

Bob Wilson

13. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Before criticizing CA, recall they do have some unique geography that traps polution into hanging around over areas which are very desirable living areas otherwise. Kansas is a bit different....

bwilson4web likes this.
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    wow that's quite an intriguing notion. Almost tough to wrap my head around it. Maybe true, as a collateral effect of the CA environmental policy?

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes but Ca. has moved on to climate change - not smog - as their policy rationale.

austingreen likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    makes me want to move there even more, subtraction by addition?

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Watch out I will post Ballad of Jed Clampett on you too if you move to Californie.

bwilson4web, bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    would be worth it, specially if i were hunting and struck oil, and daisy.;)

am i conflating with lil abner?(n)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    imagine how cheap the real estate would be if everyone with gassers had to leave.

bwilson4web likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    But then that "bubbling crude" would be worth squat? (n)

bisco likes this.