1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Car and Cleaning, etc

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusmaybe, May 9, 2007.

1. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Black 2007

What do you think is on the car currently? Just a clear coat? Wax?

I want to protect the paint. I am interested in Zaino, but am confused about the process. It seems they have new products, which don't follow the same procedure as early posts about zaino.

I also don't want to spend a fortune.

I don't mind a little work, as I have used Meguires, etc.

I would think no dawn wash or claying at this point on a new car.

2. tiger roach

tiger roach New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ May 9 2007, 12:03 PM) [snapback]438338[/snapback]</div>
    Usually they come from the dealer with a nice coat of wax, it least in these parts. I bet it won't need anything but gentle washing for six months or so.

3. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tiger roach @ May 9 2007, 01:14 PM) [snapback]438348[/snapback]</div>

I hope not, No one knows how to wax a black car, then they hit it with a buffer, I hate that.

4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do yourself a favor and ask these questions and read up on proper paint care at www.autopia.org. The folks here mean well, but a lot of them don't know what they're talking about when it comes to this department.

99% the car was waxed, poorly, by the dealership before you took delivery.

5. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I completely agree with Steve on this. I always considered myself somewhat of a detailing fanatic and thought I was using the right products and techniques. Boy, was I wrong. I learned so much from the folks over at Autopia, Autogeek, etc... There's a ton of good information on those detailing forums and most of the members seem genuinely interested in helping you if you post a question. I spent weeks reading hundreds of posts and learning as much as I could, before joining and posting questions of my own.

I also debated over spending the big bucks on Zaino products (specifically Z-AIO and Z-CS) because of their reputation for durability and shine. However, I also discovered there are many other fine products (and I'm talking about sealants not waxes) that provide just about the same durability and shine, but at a considerably lower cost. I happen to choose JeffsWerkstatt products and have been extremely pleased with the ease of use, shine & durability.

By the way, it is definitely not too early to clean, polish and seal the paint on your new Prius. Remember, the paint was already fully cured when that Prius was sitting on the boat in Japan. Even if you took delivery of your Prius as soon as it arrived at the dealership, it's likely been several weeks since that vehicle left the port in Japan. During that transit time, these cars are exposed to quite a bit of environmental fallout (i.e. dirt). I would definitely start your detailing regimen as soon as you have the opportunity. I did a full detail on my Prius (clean, polish & seal) the first weekend of ownership.

Do a little research. I'm sure you'll find a product (& process) that is right for you. Good luck!