1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New car...bad alignment

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BellBoy, Mar 20, 2006.

1. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've noticed ever since I got the car back in LA that when I apply the brakes sometimes I feel a pull to the left. I've tried this on the highway and I was able to recreate it.

I have NOT slammed on the brakes or almost gotten into an accident which might explain this on a new car. Although I can't be sure since it did have 6 miles on it when I took ownership--it could have happened when they gassed it up, who knows? I expressed this concern to my dealer (out of state unfortunately) and they told me that I could take it into any dealer and I would get one free alignment in the first year. Don't know if that's true and I haven't checked it out yet.

Has anyone else encountered this on a new ('06) Prius? What kind of damage can be happening because of this?

Something else just came up yesterday is a warning to rotate my tires. I have about 1400 miles on it and it's asking me to rotate already? Is this correct?

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes not uncommon. Sometimes it gets out of alignment coming off the boat. Some dealers check some don't but you have on free alignment in the first year get it checked.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yep, go get your alignment checked. the way they tie the cars down during shipment can cause alignment issues and it's not listed on the pre-delivery inspection sheet. take it to your local dealer, you don't have to get it serviced at the same place you bought it.

4. glenk

glenk Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This doesn't sound like an alignment problem but uneven braking on the left side which makes the car pull to that direction. If it were alignment, the car would drift to the left all the time.

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree. It still *could* be alignment that just shows up more under braking... but more likely it is a tire or brake issue. Either way, take it in under warranty!

6. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Caster and camber can affect the car differently under braking than accelerating or cruising.

Have the dealer perform a 4 wheel alignment check (caster, camber, toe), and give you a printout of the results. You are entitled to this on a new Prius if you have handling or braking issues.

If they adjust front toe, ask for an adjustment toward "more toe-in" rather than zero. Zero is allowed in the spec, but the car can wander on the freeway without enough toe-in.