1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new car "break in" mpg question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Etel Rose, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Etel Rose

Etel Rose New Member

I have around 25 miles on my Prius now, all city driving, and the average mpg is in the low 30s. Is this normal? It should get better as the car "breaks in," right (although I don't really know what it means to break in a car and why that should matter, but it seems like I might have heard that)? I was expecting something at least in the 40s...

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    25 miles! You might wanna give it just a little longer before you get worried. If you're not into the 40s by the end of the first tank let us know.

In the mean time, be sure to look at the stickies under the Fuel economy forum and read the article linked in the second sticky.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Also, take a look around the forums... you'll see that short trips, quick accelerations with rapid stops, and high speeds can all lower your mileage... My sugestion: take the car out for a little "joy ride" sometime... spend an hour or so getting to know your new baby in some areas where there isn't much traffic so you can look at the MFD occasionally and get a general idea of how to improve your mileage. then come back and here read the sticky about new owners improving mileage or whatever it's called.

After just 25 miles, i'd say you're doing just fine. keep at it!

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to say, a post worried about gas mileage after only 25 miles must be a new record...I'll get the research folks on it to look it up!

Not to worry, I don't want to discourage you from posting, but do take advantage of the stickies, the articles section and the search feature on the site here as many or most questions that will come to you over the first year or so of ownership have been asked and answered many times. But, if those don't give you the results you're looking for we're happy to answer...but you might get ribbed a bit.

5. Etel Rose

Etel Rose New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 21 2006, 02:48 PM) [snapback]306900[/snapback]</div>
    sorry for jumping the gun. I knew not to expect the 60 mpg promised on the sticker. The Prius was such a huge purchase for me - I guess I imagined better mileage than this right off the bat... I was wondering about the "break in"...

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The break in period is usually considered to be around 5000 miles, with a secondary break in again sometime later (10,000 maybe?). The big point is to just enjoy the car at first, get used to how it feels to drive. then you can start really paying attention and trying to improve you mileage!

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 21 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]306887[/snapback]</div>
    http://priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=23 is one such article.

8. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

I'm on my second tank...I do all short trips...lots of hills...my first tank
    I got 31 mpg....then I joined Priuschat.com.

I have been up to 45 mpg on this tank, because I took a couple of trips that were 5 miles +....now I am around 40.8 mpg and half way through the tank...I'm not worried, just finding it fun to learn and watch.

I did read a lot here, though, and am trying to maximize the mpg to my driving situation..I upped my tire pressures....I climb my hills briskly....using coast on way home since it's many downhills then...

When I can get above 30, I use Pulse and Glide as much as possible....I don't know if it's just because car is on second tank...certainly isn't broken in...but my mpg is now 10 mpg higher....

I agree with what Evan said...just enjoy driving it....there is a break-in period....It'll take me a year to drive 5000 miles with all short trips, so I'm not likely to get 50 mpg...but that's fine..I just love the car.

I watch the MFD and use the driving tips because I enjoy it all so much....so ...not to worry, unless you want to have some fun trying to get the mpg higher ....

Enjoy the ribbing...I know I am definitely a Prius owner and lover because I was a bit shakey with that 31 mpg on the first tank...then I settled in. I haven't had a new car that I have owned in more than 20 years...the Camry (15 years old and just sold) was hubby's till he became blind...and my last two cars were leased because of our business at the time.

So...this is a real trip for me...a gift to myself in retirement!!

9. kn6vv

kn6vv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just started my 3rd tank of gas. When I picked up the Prius at the dealer two weeks ago, it had 11 miles on the odometer and the "average" milage shown was like 18mpg. This of course was not realistic as much of those 11 miles were at idle sitting at the dealer or driving on/off the boat from Japan but at the end of the first tank I reset the MPG average showing 48mpg. The second tank with real driving conditions netted an average of 51.8 mpg and seems to be steady there in the low 50s with both highway and city driving! I only have 800 mjiles on the car so others tell me to expect it to improve! Read the PriusChat tips on good mileage as this has been a big help to me!

Enjoy and good luck. Tom KN6VV

10. omega II

omega II New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    my first tank i got 60mpg city/highway, my next tank was highway (70mph) and i got 69mpg. i really didn't think i was going to get even close to these numbers, but it happen. this was done on a new 06.

11. Etel Rose

Etel Rose New Member

o.k. thanks everyone for responding. I guess I'm a nervous new car owner. I took a longer drive tonight and the number is indeed creeping up...

12. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What was your average MPG on your previous car, Etel Rose? There are a couple of break in periods. The first is at about 5K or 6K miles, and probably has as much to do with you learning how to drive your Prius as the car loosening up. Another one seems to come around 20K miles.

My advice: Don't worry about MPGs for the first few tanks. Spend this time getting to know your car, becoming familiar with it. Don't worry if the engine "races". Don't worry if you never see a green battery. Stomp the accelerator (safely) to get the feel of the available power, both from stopped and cruising speeds. See if you can detect when regenerative braking stops and friction braking begins (around 8 mph). Learn to change the radio and the temperature from the steering wheel. Play with the Nav system if you have it. When you become comfortable with your car, when you don't have to pay attention to it, then you can pay attention to increasing your miles per gallon. It's a really smart car, all you have to do is drive it and you'll get better MPGs than most other cars on the road.

BTW, time to update your profile from "other non-hybrid". There's a Prius group in the Portland area that meets monthly. Check out The Portland Area Prius Meetup Group.

13. Etel Rose

Etel Rose New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Aug 21 2006, 10:56 PM) [snapback]307324[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks again for the advice :) I wasn't very good at tracking the mpgs on my last car, but it was a large car that had some mechanical problems and it did not get good gas mileage at all. If you looked closely, you could actually see the needle going down as you were driving!

I never thought I would get a new car - I'm kind of opposed to it on principle - but with the tax credits and the fact that I wanted a more environmentally sound car plus one with the newer safety features (side curtains), I went ahead and got it. And the dealer just happened to have one coming in - just a week's wait!

I'm a very gentle driver, so I think I should probably get good mileage on the Prius naturally, but I need to figure out some of the features of this car (ex. what you're saying about regen vs. friction braking - I'm not sure how that works and how to use it to advantage).