1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New car paint issues?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Paulskim586, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Paulskim586

Paulskim586 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi guys and gals,

I'm a first time Prius owner having purchased a brand new 2013 Blizzard White Prius 3 this past Sunday.

I hate that my first post is regarding what i think may be a problem, but here it goes.

I got the car Sunday but, due to insurance policy changes, didn't get to drive the Prius to work until today. I drove to work and back home great, and it being a brand new car, I thought I'd baby the car a bit and give it a wipe down.

To my surprise, after having wiped down the body panel areas right behind each wheel near and around the wheel wells (typically where crud would splatter without the help of mudflaps), I found that the clear coat had been stained yellowish.

I tried clay barring the areas, and even tried dishwasher soap in case it was from oil, but the stains just aren't coming out. I'm a bit peeved because its not just on the lower portions of the car near EACH wheel, but TINY bits of stuff had splattered on the door panels here and there, and it's the same thing. I wipe the crud away only to find that the clear coat has been stained yellowish.

Is this a fate I'll have to accept having purchased the Blizzard White, or is there something seriously wrong with how my particular car may have been finalized at the factory? Neither I nor anyone else in my family has ever owned a white vehicle so maybe I'm overreacting, but I would hate to be driving a Blizzard Spotty Yellow Prius after a few years, especially since this color is supposed to be an "upgrade." I'm partially regretting not having gotten the Gray instead -_-;;

I won't have time to drop the car off at the dealership I purchased the Prius from until Saturday, so I would appreciate any and all feedback I could get.

Thank you~~!

2. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Assuming it's little spots that look like rust, it's probably rail dust from shipping. Pictures would probably help to diagnose the patient. If it is rail dust, I'm surprised the clay bar didn't do the trick to remove it. Another option for rail dust is to use a product like Iron-X which dissolves it from the paint, rather than shearing it off like a clay bar would.

You will definitely notice this a bit more on a white car, but a good sealant and wax job should help to prevent it from becoming so prevalent. I wouldn't regret your color, dark colors have their own issues in showing different types of dirt.

3. Paulskim586

Paulskim586 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the reply mrstop! I'm definitely going to take the car back on Saturday, but in the mean time I wanted to know if this is going to be a constant issue with the Blizzard Pearl, and if it is, what I could do to prevent it.

I was never one for being too anal about detailing cars with the whole 9 yards of car care products since my previous car was a metallic gray color.

4. Paulskim586

Paulskim586 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry the photo's a bit crud since I snapped it with my iPhone. I hope you can see it, but this is the front passenger fender well directly behind the wheel.

I have speckles like this behind each wheel on all four corners, and TINY speckles of this on both sides of the body panels.

It's unfortunate, and probably ridiculous, but I lost a little sleep over this trying to research the issue and preventative measures.

image.jpg

5. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From your pic, it doesn't look like rail dust/iron dust. Rail dust looks like little pin size rust spots. How many miles were on the car when you picked it up? Based on the location and if it has some miles on it, another possibility is tar residue that someone drove through on a test drive. If that is what it is, you could try some Tarminator.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! hopefully the dealer will take care of it for you and not accuse you of doing it after you picked it up. that's no way to start with a new vehicle. all the best!(y)

7. Paulskim586

Paulskim586 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I took a look at the Prius before deciding I wanted it, it had 1 mile on the odometer. When I took delivery after all contracts were signed and the car was washed and detailed it had 4 miles on the odometer. Drove the car straight home and had a grand total of 20 miles on the odo and did not get to drive the car on Monday due to not having auto insurance yet, and drove the car a total of 24 miles to and from work yesterday, Tuesday.

I am most certain this happened after my round trip to and from work yesterday. There was a bit of dirt/black kick up on all the fender wells after I got home, which happened to wrap around onto the side of the panels slightly, with what I assume were dirt specs that had also kicked up onto other parts of my door panels between the side skirt and door handles. I wiped the car clean with solution and paper towels, and lo and behold, the spots DIRECTLY underneath EACH of the dirt specs had turned this yellow-ish.

I asked a friend who details cars for a living, and he said to take the car back to Toyota and have them fix the problem first. Whether it be by buffing, polishing, or whatever detailers do, or repainting the areas that are currently affected.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hmm, you must have driven through some roadwork or something. hopefully an expert body man can sort you out.

9. Paulskim586

Paulskim586 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks guys! I really do hope Toyota can fix the paint up as good as new.

I wouldn't have been so concerned about it if I had purchased this Prius used with several thousands of miles on it, but it literally started at a "1 Mile" odometer reading as I was the first and only person that got to see the Prius before I decided to buy.

Hopefully, it won't continue to be a problem with the paint constantly turning yellow from road crud coming onto the paint from normal city street driving. If it DOES continue to react the same way, I guess the top half of my car will be white, and the bottom half will be a spotty yellow in a year or two. :(

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe a two tone paint job?:cool:

11. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You're such a comfort, bisco...:(

12. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pickup some Tarminator from Walmart or the parts store. Test it on a small spot and the stains should "melt" away of they are tar. It won't damage the paint.

13. Paulskim586

Paulskim586 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the tip mrstop. I'll get some on my way home later tonight and see if it helps, and/or solves the problem. I won't be able to make it out to the dealership I purchased the car from until Saturday anyway, so might as well try as many different solutions as possible.

14. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had several white cars up to now (unfortunately my Prius is silver) and I've never seen anything like it. But, I'm willing to trade my silver with your white. I wish my Prius was white. I hate silver color after 3 years of ownership. A coworker just bought a white one and it looks great.