1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by shar1950, Oct 28, 2006.

1. shar1950

shar1950 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to get new car that has no smart key, is it worth the money to get it has a option? What is the cost in canada ?

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shar1950 @ Oct 28 2006, 12:07 AM) [snapback]339782[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't think it could be added on after the fact, but I could be wrong on this. I think it's a very handy feature, and was part of the package I wanted anyway (VSC, side airbags).

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shar1950 @ Oct 27 2006, 09:07 PM) [snapback]339782[/snapback]</div>
    I would go for the Premium Package (Pkg "B") not just for the smart key (which is very cool and more and more cars are coming equipped with it and so far, the Prius is the cheapest car in Canada to have one), but also for the side and side curtain airbags and VSC (Vehicle Stability Control). I believe the Premium Package is $35k.

If it's out of your budget, a Camry Hybrid at $31,900 is a better bet and comes with the smart key AND the side/side curtains and VDIM standard (along with a host of other amenities that are optional on the base Prius)

4. vuapplepudding

vuapplepudding New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shar1950 @ Oct 27 2006, 11:07 PM) [snapback]339782[/snapback]</div>
    shar1950,

I am a new Prius owner and the smart key is awesome. All my peers are in amazement when I can start the car with my keys in my backpack.

If you have kids you will love not having to reach in your pockets to get the keys to unlock the car doors.

When I go shopping for groceries I enjoy the fact that I can just reach for the rear hatch and it opens without the need for keys.

I have a friend how lives in Innisfail, Alberta and he says he gets lots of snow. With the smart key you will never be locked out because the key hole is frozen. THIS IS PRICELESS in my opinion. You do have a regular key hidden inside the smart key.

As for the cons, if you leave the car unused for more than a week or so (2 weeks), you need to deactivate the smart key system with a simple push of a button below the steering column. Otherwise it will drain the sealed lead acid 12 volt battery. See other PRIUSCHAT posts.

What did I pay for this? Well it came with the car. 2006 Silver Package #4 (USA). The TSC, ABS, Trac Control, Curtain air bag, and rear camera sold me on this package.

I wonder why your 2007 will not have this smart key in Canada. I went to Toyota.ca and this site is terrible the option page just gives a small bit of info. Useless IMO.

Suggest you go to Toyota.com and compare the features with the price structure. That way you know what things are worth in the market.

What is convenience and advanced technology worth to you. Only you can answer that my friend.

Hope this helped.

Good luck with your new car!!!

P.S. I lived in Toronto (Mississauga) for 3 years enjoyed life there, however, I think I would have enjoyed Alberta better.