1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New CNW Research use

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FBear, Mar 7, 2008.

1. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I just got my copy of the Winter/Spring AAA news letter. Got to the last page and sticking out like a sore thumb in 50pt type Prius one of the most expensive cars to own dust to dust. Anyway I started to read the article and AAA national, where the article originated, is using the bogus information off the CNW Research website to get it statistics. I just went to ww.cnwmr.com and now they are trying to justify their 100k life span of the Prius. Since Prius drivers only average 7000 miles per year so it would take 15 years to reach 100k. What are they out of their minds. The Pruis cost $2.95 per mile to operate. What a crock!! I would love to respond to this in letters to the editor but I need good hard facts.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Do a good search here and other forums for CNW and you'll find plenty of facts and logic to refute with, including some external links. Look especially for some of Bob Wilson's posts on GreenHybrid (user name bwilson4web). He has refuted CNW's junk science repeatedly and convincingly.

As a AAA member myself, I might write them as well.

4. sgb_pa

sgb_pa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't realize people would still take that seriously. I had thought of putting a blog together at evworld some time ago but thought it better to let it die a natural death.

Okay, I'll put something together this weekend, because there's a lot of holes in CNW's statement (including their own 2007 update which reverses that statement for the 2006 model year, but that's rarely noticed, and not exactly pushed by CNW).

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't the research part supposed to come first, followed by conclusions? Seems like CNW's going about this the wrong way.

7. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

That is due to their cranial-rectal inversion.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Definately call AAA on it.

9. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I wrote to them about the article "Sizing Up Energy Footprints":
    AAA New York - CarandTravel - Sizing Up Energy Footprints
    The article had no byline but turns out to have been written by automotive editor, Joseph D. Younger. He can be reached care of: carandtravel (at) aaany.com He replied to me via an assistant a few times. He stopped responding when I questioned the dust to dust report.

10. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would second that. I switched to BWC several years ago from AAA after reading some of the articles on AAA. They gave discounts to hybrids and seem to focus a lot on reducing our enegy use/carbon footprint. IMO, it is completely irresponsible for AAA to republish that garbage two years after it has been debunked numerous times. I never had to use BWC and let it lapse after a year. Will probably rejoin when the Prius gets a little older.

11. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I put together a blog at EV WORLD called
    CNW’s report that will not die

Also see the sticky on debunking CNW in the hybrid news forum.

12. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Third that. BWC gives good service and their heart is in the right place.

13. BoltonJoe

BoltonJoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is an interesting thread--especially the comments on AAA. My wife and I have belonged for years, largely for the road-assistance benefits but also for their travel services: traveler's checks, foreign currency, international drivers' licenses.

But we've noticed that AAA is really more of an insurance (which we don't use) and finance operation than an automobile association. We've got an AAA credit card, but we NEVER use it, because the interest rates are higher than the normally usurious rates charged by other card providers. And their so-called newsletters are such drivel that we haven't bothered to read them for years.

Perhaps it's time to check out BWC. Do they operate here in Massachusetts?

--Joe

14. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At Better World Club - Roadside Assistance, Insurance and Travel it says:

"Better World Club is currently quoting in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington only. Watch this space."

15. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At Better World Club - Roadside Assistance, Insurance and Travel it says:

"Better World Club Provides Nationwide Roadside Assistance. We are the Nation's Only environmentally friendly auto club. Membership Includes eco-travel Services, Discounts on hybrid cars, insurance Services, Free Maps, Auto Maintenance discounts and bicycle roadside assistance. We donate 1% of annual revenues toward environmental cleanup and advocacy."