1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Cold-fusion-esque fuel source?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It seems too good to be true: a new source of near-limitless power that costs virtually nothing, uses tiny amounts of water as its fuel and produces next to no waste. If that does not sound radical enough, how about this: the principle behind the source turns modern physics on its head.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,...1627424,00.html

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd be pretty surprised if it's true. It basically invalidates the Pauli Exclusion principle, upon which all of modern Chemistry is built. I agree that it'd be great (probably, I don't know what all of the implications would be) but I'm not holding my breath.

3. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would bet on quantum physics.

When scientists investigated psychic powers, many thought there might be something to it, however when magicians investigated psychic powers they developed psychic powers too, at least until they told everyone how they did the trick.

This seems to have the classic elements of a scam. The inventor has a vague association with prestigeous universities, both Harvard and MIT. The claims are not exteme. The promise of a commercial product is still years away and there are undisclosed investors.

Maybe if you are lucky you can invest too.

I heard a scam similar to this several years ago-- that time it was tachyon energy and the secret of how to capture them.

4. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As promising as all this sounds, I think I am going to go ahead and pick up my '06 Prius in January.
    ;)

5. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

<_< "And he claims to be just months away from unveiling his creation."
    Right. Sound familiar? :rolleyes:

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the alternatives at the end of the article merit further study

7. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    True. Those all seem to be legit. I thought that it was odd that the most vocal critic was from the European Space Agency. Seems like all kinds of folks would be lining up to take a swing at this one.

8. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    OK, the bottom three seem pretty legit. I've read about the solar chimney in several articles and wave power is coming of age. Fusion is still a ways off but there are a lot of folks working on it.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well there is supposed quotes from many other people but lets face it. anyone can print anything they want. if as many scientific organizations have actually inspected this, it will be filtering down soon enough. to be honest with you, the publishing journal is one i have never heard of... mind you, it is not my field or anything so they may very well be well known...

10. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah, I was wondering about the "guardian" myself. It seems like I've come across it before but who knows? Does anybody?

11. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Guardian is a very good English newspaper which is highly respected. I have been getting their RSS news feed for several months.

12. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Hey, a newspaper can print as "news" anyone's claim of anything. It's not an engineering journal.

The New York Times prints people's claims of seeing the face of Jesus in a pancake, huh? Waffle? Batter? Can't remember.

13. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Here's a list of things QM is right about (from SlashDot):
    LEDs
    LASERs
    GMR (your hard drive heads)
    transistors (FET, BJT, etc.); the things inside your cpu
    atomic clocks
    nuclear magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)s.

The score is at least 6-0, and not going into overtime.

14. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't forget a consistent explanation for why the periodic table is arranged the way it is. This would pretty much change all of modern chemistry overnight. And then molecular biology as well. I think we'd be hearing a lot more about this from people other than captain no name if this were legit. It'll be interesting to see if it continues to surface in a variety of sources over the next couple of months. I doubt it, but we'll see.

15. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Oh ya btw, let's flash back to 1999. How many years does 2-3 more years take?

16. craigcush

craigcush Member

I am the pessimist till proven type and have seen lots of bunk out there.
    I would refer those interested to a site that does what it says;

>> We propose to you to use this site as THE concentrator of choice for valuable news on the fascinating but still controversial subject of over-unity (O/U) fuel-less energetics <<

with the caveat;

>> ANYBODY can post news/articles (we only screen for relevance) <<

The site has been around for quite awhile with a great deal of interesting information. But here we are, not warping through space or inserting a yearly dilithium crystal in our Prius.

If one of those past ideas posted were feasible, someone would have done it by now. Unless "they" don't want us to have ZPE (Has anyone started a 'black helicopter' thread yet?)

Still, ZPE could happen next week.....

http://www.zpenergy.com/

<_<

17. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And just how is the table of elements "supposed" to be arranged? Like <a href=\'http://www.chemsoc.org/viselements/pages/pertable_fla.htm\' target=\'_blank\'>this?</a> Or in 3D, like <a href=\'http://periodictable.com/pages/3rotate.html\' target=\'_blank\'>this?</a> Maybe you'd prefer the classy <a href=\'http://www.theodoregray.com/PeriodicTable/index.html\' target=\'_blank\'>wooden version.</a> Of course, since you're talking quantum chemistry, maybe a periodic table of <a href=\'http://www.iscifistory.com/scifaku/elements/periodichaiku.asp\' target=\'_blank\'>Haiku</a> is more appropriate, since quantum states and poetry are spin-bonded.

There are a whole <a href=\'http://store1.yimg.com/I/scimall-usa_1870_518070\' target=\'_blank\'>galaxy</a> of arrangements of the periodic table.

18. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Bill, your sig is, er, enlarged.

Thanks for the link, NuShrike! Walks like a duck...

19. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What this proves is that a sufficiently charismatic con artist can fool some of the people all of the time. Also that people with money to invest are sometimes idiots. Or more charitably, that science education in this country is abominable.

20. bookrats

bookrats New Member

That's the trick with a quantum-powered automobile -- it works great, as long as you aren't looking at it when it runs. :lol: