1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Dealer hybrid battery required work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by skydawg, Apr 28, 2019.

1. skydawg

skydawg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2005 Prius with only 91K mi is throwing OBD code PAO80 replace hybrid battery. there's a lot of threads on the subject but I am leaning towards buying a new battery from dealer for about $1800 (P/N G9510-47031) plus a core charge and installing myself..
    My question is this:it seems the dealer battery is not a complete unit like some of the rebuilt options, and requires I swap some components out. Anyone have any experience with this and what's involved? Also, are there any service manual pages available that cover swapping of these components?

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

there should be write ups here, as well as youtube videos. and yes, the service manual should detail it. sounds like a great plan for such a low mileage car,

all the best!(y)

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good luck on your car.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bring the battery home.
    Swap over the old components.
    Put on the new nuts, new bolts, and provided new parts.
    Properly package old core.
    Bring core back to dealer.

Please take time to use an inch pound torque wrench to properly tighten the new nuts as well as high voltage lead nuts. Seriously. Don't be lazy and think you have the magic touch to guess at how tight things need to be. This is an expensive high voltage component that is helping to hurtle you down the road at 55mph.

I work on hybrids and EVs for a living. If you call me I'd be happy to explain the items a bit more. 608-729-4082