1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Disturbing Noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jim.Biggs, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Jim.Biggs

Jim.Biggs Zardoz

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A little help diagnosing this would be appreciated.
    This is NOT a joke! I have owned the car since NEW and it now has 119,000 miles on it. So I am quite familiar with noises the car routinely makes...

This started about a week ago... I did not think the noise was coming from the Prius ... but now it is confirmed.

I have only noticed the noise when the engine is off. For instance, pressing the power button to start, leaving the car in Park and a few seconds before the engine starts (not every time mind you) a noise lasting about 1/2 of one second. It is LOUD and sort of a "BHONK". I have also heard this noise setting at a red light. It is VERY loud. It is loud enough that others think I am Honking at them and they will honk back!

Here is more to go on... I have found a way to recreate it all most every time. (Nothing is perfect)

Here we go:
    With the car fully warmed up after driving around for say 15 minutes, slow down and stop in such a manor that the engine is off. While watching the Energy Display make sure the engine is off and adjust the brake pressure so that the battery remains supplying power to the MG's. The noise will NOT occur at this point. I have waited a full FIVE minutes and the noise did NOT occur!

NOW, for the noise... Press the brake firmly. The Energy Display will show that the battery is no longer supplying power to the MG's. About 5 seconds later "The sound".

Someone that has a flow chart or understands the various functionalities SHOULD be able to tell me what cycles at this point!

I know this is not much to go on but it is so fast and intermittent that it is difficult to isolate. I thought at first the horn was intermittently beeping due to a computer or electrical failure but the sound is wrong. The noise is a little lower frequency than the horn. Perhaps a pump is trying to start and the impeller rubs the casing occasionally...

BTW, the temperature when this happens is mid 40's to low 60's F.

Thanks in advance!

2. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    perhaps your talking about the sea lion infestation?

see this thread, complete description and solution in my post on page 5.

3. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Interesting phenomena:confused: I'll have to keep an ear out and start listening for that 'barking' sound.:)

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had my Prius for about 4 years and I'm always "hearing a new sound", or so I think. As long as I have no warning lights and the car feels right to me, I just turn up the radio and go along my merry way. The same thing has happened with every car I've ever owned. Sometimes it turns out to be mind over matter. My thoughts...

5. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    On my '08, after turning the power off I can hear a buzzing noise under the hood. I suspect it is the Hybrid system that is 'doing its thing'. :confused: Yes, the car runs great and I am still in the break-in period...closing 2K. :cool:

6. Jim.Biggs

Jim.Biggs Zardoz

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A followup...
    Perhaps it WAS an ABS component "barking" but like several other problems I have had... I post the issue here and like magic the problem goes away! It has been gone about a week now! I did nothing to it.

I love these self repairing cars!

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Jim...,

Is there any consistancy in speed when the BHONK happens? Like 7 mph ? That is the speed the regeneration kicks out and the hydraulics actuate the fricting brakes. If so, that would imply the BHONK is the brakes taking up the wear clearance (which would need to be huge) when the Hydraulics press the pads to the caliper, or the calipers are binding.

If that is the case, then a caliper cleaning is in order. Look for the caliper binding mechanisms, or that if the guides and guide bushings (if the Prius has those?) are not worn or nicked. Properly lubricate the caliper guides Hobbit has a write-up on caliper maintenance on his web site.

8. jamesbalch

jamesbalch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have this EXACT same noise, only it is a little softer. Sounds just like someone lightly bouncing thier fist on the horn to remind someone in front of them that the light has turned green and to get going!

There is a service bulletin in regards to this brake noise....they call it a "squeak" but I think this is the noise they are reffering to.

See the TSB section at the top of the page and look up "Brake Noise" (TSB BR001-07).

When I was in for a routine inspection, I mentioned this soft "honking" noise to the service department.....they lubed the brake pedal linkage. Of course it is still there. I wil have them bleed the brakes next....then replace the ABS brake actuator assembly under warranty if neccesary.

Rather aggravating little noise, isn't it?BR001-07

Sonic_TH likes this.
  9. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    So what happened so far? did you ended replacing the ABS actuator?

10. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would guess the car has had two owners since the OP's last post in 2007.

11. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Well maybe, but some people buy cars and keep them in the long run, as it should be, knowing how difficult it can be to pay a new car. But maybe this car is long gone from his hands, maybe the car is not even in the road anymore, could have ended its Priii life in an accident. I doubt this person will even answer my question.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    iirc, when i spoke with him back then, he eventually traded it in because he needed a new actuator.

Sonic_TH likes this.
  13. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One

Ohhh i see, well i don't know if it's the best decision to trade a car just because of such problem, it depends though if you are able to replace the actuator yourself or not, if you can then you will save a lot of money.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. but he was not a diy'er. he got quite a few years after the honking/barking started, so it wasn't worth putting the money into it.

Sonic_TH likes this.
  15. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I understand, some people just do not have time to do these things due to work, or they are not good at it [or that's what they think], or they are not interested in learning how to do it, they should. Well, it's good to know what happened to his Prius, thank you for telling. Now i wonder why he was last time online 8 years ago, i hope he is okay.

16. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Some people make more money doing their own job and would rather have someone else do it.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    3 years ago. unfortunately, we lost touch

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There was a honking noise that I disliked a few years ago, I looked up the TSB and asked the dealer to flash the brake ECU firmware update mentioned in it, and the noise went away.

If the ECU is already at the recommended firmware version and there is still a honk, I would try the bleed procedure (the more thorough one, for when the underhood bits have been replaced). That might get some gas bubbles out of the way, and I believe the honk to be produced when a bubble squirts fluid past one of the actuator valves, working it like a saxophone reed.

If that doesn't tame the noise, or it comes back too soon, actuator replacement may be indicated.