1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New driver - any tip?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Andrewuk, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Andrewuk

Andrewuk New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

I am picking up my 2009 Generation 2 Prius on Saturday. The dealer is about 100 miles away.

I am curious -- is it different from driving this generation Prius and other automatic cars? I was driving a Toyota Corolla 2001 Automatic for years...

I am hoping it is as easy to drive as an ordinary automatic?

Many thanks.

Andrew

2. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!

It is pretty much the same as ordinary automatic, although the Prius is not technically an automatic. :) I think there are a bunch of threads here if you want to learn the details of learning of driving a Prius. Enjoy your ride!

3. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, the car will drive just like an automatic and you'll have no problems. There are several ways you can alter your driving style a bit to try to maximize fuel economy, and you'll be able to find out a lot about that by reading through the forums here.

But you don't have to do any of that... you can just drive the car like any other car and you'll still get good economy.

4. Andrewuk

Andrewuk New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Much appreciated for your replies!

I'll try to get the car back first :)

5. Andrewuk

Andrewuk New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've just got back home and I cannot be a happier person... The Prius drive was perfect - smooth and steady. After driving my 2000 Corolla for a few years, this 2009 Prius is like a great car!

What's even better -- I've just calculated the MPG after 200 miles drive. It's 56.2!!! Considering my old Corolla was doing 37MPG, I am very happy with the result. (Fair enough, today's drive was mostly highways)

I will browse through some posts regarding how to increase fuel economy and thank you for your inputs.

Andrew

6. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Congratulations and welcome to PC. Glad that your enjoying your Prius. It should drive just like other car, you might have to get used to how the regenerative brakes fell. It will be different next time you drive a conventional auto. Enjoy!