1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New EV startup

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by nerfer, Jun 6, 2006.

1. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    High-end electric vehicle being proposed, details at: http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ss/14719583.htm

While I appreciate more interest in electric vehicles, and the first ones probably would be expensive no matter what (like CommuterCars roadmap), it sure would be nice if people focussed on useful EVs for the common consumer, more like what Meyer Motors did before mismanagement effectively stopped that effort. Some readers here may not like the Prius comments, but for me, the styling is definitely not why I bought the car - I bought it despite the styling (but it's growing on me :) ).

Quote:

Tesla Motors, a San Carlos start-up that is building a high-performance electric sports car, has raised $40 million in a third round of venture capital from a group of investors including VantagePoint Venture Partners and Elon Musk, co-founder of PayPal.

Tesla wants to build a car that appeals to wealthy yet environmentally conscious buyers who have found that alternative energy cars like the hybrid gasoline-electric Toyota Prius lack flash. Tesla's founders say those drivers have been hankering for something cooler -- a little more like a Ferrari.

Martin Eberhard, co-founder of Tesla, made some money on his previous company, electronic book developer NuvoMedia, but couldn't find a car he wanted to buy.

``I couldn't find a car that was nice enough to enjoy driving, and which also got reasonable gas mileage,'' said the Woodside resident. ``The Prius is terrifically ugly.'' :blink:

p.s. Just noticed this is my 100th post! Seems like it took forever to get out the "rookie poster" level, but now it's no big deal.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Some people like "land shark/urban assault" styling, with high sides and small windows (think the Hummer and the Chryslers). Others appreciate the low drag of an aerodynamic design. To each his own taste, to each his own milage.

3. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow nerfer, you have just been responded to by The Bill Merchant! he's a PC icon..... :eek: :D :) :lol:

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We're talking about this over here.

Not really sure why that thread is in the hybrid news section... or why this one is in the environmental section... but there you go. Seems "other cars" would be the correct spot.