1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New EV Switch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by bestmapman, Oct 13, 2007.

1. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    During the Cincinnati EBH install, Hobbit installed a EV switch in my 2007 Prii. Everything seems to work as advertised except one item.

When I first turn the car on and hit the EV switch the engine stills comes on for S1 like before. It is my understanding that if you hit the EV switch before the engine starts it will delay S1 untill you are out of the EV Mode. I tested to see if it is going to EV by selecting the comsumption screen and then hitting the switch. The screen turns to the energy screen, but the car starts anyway.

Any ideas on this. Is the programming on the 07 different then previous models?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prii is the adopted plural. You have an '07 Prius (unless you have more than one).

Sometimes the EV button does funny things...sometimes when you think conditions are right it won't work and other times it works when you think it won't. Keep trying the morning/first start up use and see if you can find consistancy somewhere. Was you battery SOC low (<3 bars?) by chance?

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree with Evan on this one.

Besides, I usually try to avoid hitting the EV immediately. I know that the engine will run to get up to temp anyway. To me, there's no need to lower the SoC in addition.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use EV just to back out of the driveway, then turn it off as soon as I select drive. All about liking my neighbours. I don't know if I can help, I have a genuine EV button, I hit the EV button as soon as I hear the ready beep, I have my finger on the button waiting. That works without fail.

5. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 14 2007, 07:12 AM) [snapback]525391[/snapback]</div>
    Over the next few days, I will document the issue at start up, listing the parameters. My question is not about how to use the EV switch. My question is that my EV Mode does not appear to work as advertised in regards to one area, That area is start up.

In all other ways it seems to work as advertised.

I waited to get the EV switch. I am glad I did. Since having the EV switch for 1 week now, I am using it just as I thought I would. After listening to the posts here, I use it as an ICE kill switch.

I use the EV Mode in two ways.

1) As Hobbit instructed. I use it to "extend" the warm-up phase. In conbination with he EBH, I have improved my first 5 minutes from about 25-30 MPG to 45-50 MPG. At the same time the SOC does not go down any more then it did before. I am not using any more battery, but am now able turn the ICE off on downhills where before the engine would run.

2) After the warm up cycle, I use the EV switch to turn off the ICE when it runs for no apparent reason. That was always annoying to me as the ICE seemed to run when it shouldn't.

The EV switch is a great mode, but I can see that it can be "abused" if not used in this fashion.

6. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

I use the Coastal cruise control mod on an '05. I've had my Prius start the engine against my wishes on very hot days. Protecting the hot hybrid system, I suspect. Doesn't even beep at me to tell me it isn't going to do what I ask. How rude! It does beep at me later if I try to engage it when the car is too hot, but not at startup.

Other times I think I have seen something similar was when heat or A/C was engaged, but I think it beeps at me then... can't remember though, so check that.

I find it interesting that your screen changes as though it was engaging the mode. I can't tell you if mine does that, as I am normally already on the energy screen.