1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new evidence that ECO mode works

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mainerinexile, Feb 23, 2011.

1. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There are many posts describing that ECO mode lets the CC vary the speed a bit for better gas mileage, and when in ECO mode, we have all experienced the A/C fan speed drop when the car is stopped, again to let the car run more efficiently.

I discovered a new way that ECO mode works if AC is not in use: when the car is warming up in cold weather (i.e. the first couple of miles), going into ECO mode causes the heater fan to drop in speed by two bars. The car is keeping the heat in the engine rather than the cabin, so that the engine gets up to temperature more quickly. Getting out of ECO mode causes the fan speed to increase by two bars. When the car is warmed up, this effect doesn't happen any more.

3 people like this.
  2. jdimetal

jdimetal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have noticed this as well

1 person likes this.
  3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When AC is in Auto, the fan speed is at one bar till about 103F coolant temp (outside temp @ below 20F). Once above that the fan speed slowly increases as the temp rises.

So yes, your observation is quite right.

4. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ECO definitely scales back the HVAC/Defrost/Fans, no doubt about it.

5. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can't remember the last time I had my car out of ECO mode. I've mentioned on various occasions how it helps in slippery conditions. I've notice the above as well.
    All in all, I think keeping it ECO has saved a lot of fuel; it's a great addition to the Gen III.

6. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I mostly leave mine in ECO as well. On really cold mornings where I'm trying to warm up the car, defrost the windshield, and keep the breath of 3 people from fogging up the windows, I will sometimes put it in power mode though. Power (or even Normal) definitely keeps up with that better. I can give up a bit of efficiency for sight and comfort over the first few miles of my travel, that's for sure. :)

Once everything is warmed up and the windows are clear and we are moving along I go back to ECO.

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Other than a brief trial in the other modes when the car was new, I too have never used anything except ECO mode.

8. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So the ECO details are starting to come out. Good to hear! As opposed to the constant statement, "its just fuel mapping". Blah, blah, blah. Still, it would be nice to see all the little details of ECO listed somewhere.

9. DanMode

DanMode Brooklyn Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Aside from when first driving the car, I don't believe I've used ECO mode much at all. I'd say 95% of my driving is in Normal, 4% would be in PWR Mode and the only time I'd really use ECO mode was when I was driving on a driveway made straight of ice and had to back into a garage. The ECO mode sensitivity combined with the hill start assist really helped out in that regard. :)

I'm happy to see people getting good use out of ECO mode, but with my driving style it just doesn't cut it for me. I'm more of the 'get up to speed' and then glide sort of guy.

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ if you are getting 52.5 average in those other modes, who cares about ECO! :)

11. dkelly

dkelly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For those of us who regularly use adaptive (or even normal) cruise control, having some sort of confirmation that ECO mode relaxes some of the gain would be very useful. It's a very difficult thing to test empirically because it's just too hard to control all of the parameters (temperature, slope, wind, traffic).

12. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here's ECO mode info from the 2010 Prius Technical Overview doc (attached below):

B. Driving Modes
    1. Eco Mode
    a. Maximizes fuel savings across all driving conditions
    b. Modifies or smoothes out the electronic throttle control
    program to reduce throttle response
    1) Reduces throttle opening up to a max of 11.6%
    c. Modifies air conditioning operation
    d. Also improves acceleration performance in low-traction
    conditions like ice and snow as the reduced output
    helps to minimize wheel slippage
    e. EPA label calculations do not include Eco Mode and so
    does not affect label mpg

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  13. dkelly

dkelly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the data. I will be sure to read over the entire document. Of course, this doesn't make any mention of cruise control operation. Slowing the throttle response would of course help in any mode of operation (manual or cruise).

14. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am curious about the effect of ECO on CC operation also. I think from my observations the CC maintains a constant speed even on hills no matter which mode you are in. But ECO could modify the acceleration to resume to a preset speed, it might be possible to test that.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've been using ECO basically all the time. Still, just just thinking aloud:

Maybe it promotes leadfootism, ie: you adapt to the very sluggish response, by tromping down further/harder on the gas?

16. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I use ECO all the time, and in heavy snow (on my short non-maintained road) I find wheel slippage is further reduced by driving in B mode. Ihave no technical proof other than the lack of the traction control engaging in the same spots all the time.

17. Iwannabeahippy

Iwannabeahippy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am curious about this too. Good suggestion, actually. I just bought an end of year 2010 II last week, and after watching all of the YouTube videos about no power to the wheels if they slip scared me. I will try this if I have driving problems.

Thanks!

18. mainerinexile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I either read it here or in the owner's manual that ECO mode allows the CC to let the vehicle speed vary by an additional mph, which would be a good thing for hills. Not sure I've seen this in action though. CC will kill gas mileage on hills, so I usually disable it then.

19. mainerinexile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Item c. says that ECO mode 'modifies A/C operation', which we all knew. This is the reason I was surprised to see the effect for heat, when A/C wasn't on. And unlike A/C, the effect for heat is temporary, only when the engine is warming up. The list needs this additional item, plus one for CC operation in ECO.

20. mainerinexile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Don't worry about slippage as long as you have appropriate tires for the conditions. The number of people pleased with winter performance in the 2010 outnumber those who have complained by 10 to 1 or more! Mine has been great in the snow. In fact I take the Prius instead of the 4WD Tacoma in bad weather, because of the low center of gravity in the Prius, and the inherent light rear end in any pick-up which causes them to spin out from the rear.