1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Extended Warranty Info

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by drspielman, Jul 8, 2009.

1. drspielman

drspielman Grand Master Chief

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just spoke to Troy for my warranty....very nice guy. He explained that there would be new warranties coming out in August of 2009. They will cover up to 125k miles and also have many other options.... I can't wait to hear about them....

1 person likes this.
  2. Corellon

Corellon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Canada already offers a 84 month 200,000km warrenty which is 125k Miles. Sounds like that is what is going to be offered.

1 person likes this.
  3. Edward Walsh

Edward Walsh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is however disappointing that Troy can't sell the warranty to those in the 'Great White North' till the vehicle is 1 Year old and then has to charge an additional fee as per his email to me. His price is excellent so I am most likely going to wait!!

Edward
    Marystown, Newfoundland
    Canada

4. drspielman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have not heard about that, but I live in sunny Florida. I am going to wait until the new pricing comes out and make my decision then, as it will be more beneficial... I drive about 25K a year.

5. rcarsonk

rcarsonk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Doi......

Just bought my Prius here in CA, but was vacationing in MA at the end of June. I went to Troy at Greenfield Toyota to buy the extended warranty. He was awesome, selling me the warranty for half the price that my dealer here was going to charge. But, I didn't hear anything about new warranties later this year that will go to 125K....as I would want that since I drive 18K per year or more. Is it possible to upgrade or pay a bit more? Anyone know about the other options?

6. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Per my emails with Troy earlier this week asking about the possible new options...

So it sounds like they are adding an 8 year term with a few different mileage options and slightly increasing the prices for the existing options. At least that's the impression I got.

7. drspielman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the new terms will be out 8/1/09, or at least that is what I was told. There should be options for 4years/125K to 8 years/125K and all of the range in between. I drive 25K a year, so the 5year/125K would make sense for me. I just wish there was a way to expend this term after the fact. Does anyone know of post extending a warranty?

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Wonder if it's possible to pay a "difference" to upgrade. I'd be interested in the higher miles as my first "problem" w/ the 2004 happened at 101k miles.

9. L8rnr

L8rnr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Where can we find Troy's number?

10. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's in one of the other threads about warranties... really long thread... don't have the link handy, but it won't be difficult to turn up and the info is right up near the beginning somewhere.

11. mr.scott.com

mr.scott.com New Member

I put about 15K miles on my car a year and got the plat. warranty for the same $1055 price that it is sold here. I bought my car about 2.5 weeks ago. Would I be better off with the proposed new plans? If so, is it possible to cancel my warranty and purchase the new one when it becomes available? I was going to get the warranty a couple of years after buying car, but opted to get it at the time of purchase so that I could finance it.

Any feedback or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott

PS: Huge thanks to the doc for starting this thread.

12. jelle

jelle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought that Florida was one of the states where the Totota manufacturers' extended warranty didn't apply (wasn't sold and dealers could deny service).

From here:

Toyota Financial Services: Vehicle Protection Plans

1. What state do you live in?
    Please note: Toyota Financial Services vehicle protection programs are not available in the following areas: AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, OK, PR, SC, and TX.

13. ssekien

ssekien New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does anybody know anything more about this?

14. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would assume the SET region has a deal with Toyota since they have their own extended warranty plan. I would think though that if I was travelling through the area that they would have to honor the Toyota Platinum warranty. If they don't then I'm not sure I'd want it.

15. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    FWIW, Royal Palm Toyota in Palm Beach, FL sells all their cars with a lifetime Powertrain warranty (non-transferable if car is sold, though :confused:, so it won't increase your resale value) that covers everything the Toyota Powertrain warranty covers, hybrid engine, transmission, some fwd components. It takes over after the Toyota powertrain warranty runs out, so if you're planning to sell your car as soon as the next model comes out you may never get to use it. But still, they quoted me the same MSRP as other dealers that did not offer this warranty. And it is in effect throughout the US. There' a $100 'deductible' per repair, even though it's not technically insurance, but that's a very small price to pay if you need to get any powertrain component repaired or replaced.

They have been very friendly and understanding and are holding my new Prius (contract is signed, with a deposit) until the CARS program is in full effect.

If you're in the area, and are looking for a good dealer that will show you the respect you deserve, drop in on Joe Memoly or Nick Grosso and tell them George sent you.

1 person likes this.
  16. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

My dealership actually has a guarentee for life on the engine (not full powertrain) if I simply maintain my vehicle at their service dept (which is reasonable in their costs).

For me, I'm not really worried about the engine and hybrid system. The only reason I want an extended warranty are for the air conditioner, power accessories, stereo, etc, all the things that can go wrong and eat your lunch a little bit at a time. Plus selling a car with 50,000 miles left on a transferrable warrant should add real value on the used car market.

17. mr.scott.com

mr.scott.com New Member

BUMP!:rolleyes:

18. Royal Palm Toyota

Royal Palm Toyota Internet Director

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    George,

Thanks for the kind words.

And yes, it is true about our Lifetime Powertrain Warranty - it comes at no extra cost to the consumer and is valid nationwide for unlimited years and miles. If anyone wants more info, you can PM me, email me, or call me at 561-370-7227. I look forward to anyone who wants some info or just to talk about the new Prius.

See you guys around!

(And George I'll see you soon)

Nick Grosso
    Internet Director @ Royal Palm Toyota
    :peace:

19. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nice to see you on here, Nick! I am really making an effort to wait for the CARS deal, I hope they don't delay it past the end of this month!

Regards,
    George