1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Film "The Golden Compass"

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by airportkid, Oct 23, 2007.

1. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not that tolerance or an open mind could ever be expected even from those who consider themselves religious "moderates", but this latest uproar over a children's fantasy film again reveals the extreme prejudice that religion compels against any opposing thought or idea. Their horror that children will be exposed to atheist sentiments gives weight to Richard Dawkins' observation that children indoctrinated into their parents' religion are victims of a form of child abuse. And their exhortation to undertake a boycott of the film (to inflict deliberate, calculated financial harm to the film's makers) because the film dares to portray atheism favorably to (gasp) children only proves, in spades, that not only is freedom of expression or speech complete anethema to religion, religion will go out of its way to hurt those it disagrees with.

If anyone can find any examples of organized atheists demanding boycott of any film, play, or any commercial public expression of religious belief, even for children, because it's religious, I'd like to see it. But I don't think there are any.

The Snopes synopsis

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

2. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Oct 23 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]529519[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I read the Snopes article and didn't see any mention of an organized boycott. The Catholic League, on the website linked in the article, says:

So what? That's an "organized boycott"? Are the recommending we avoid table grapes, walk instead of ride the busses, or any other boycott activity?

This is an advocacy group alerting parents to the content of the books the movie is based on. There is no call for government action to ban the books, no recommendation to write letters to the studio or the movie's sponsors, nothing.

Perhaps what you really want is to deny Christians the right of free speech? :(

3. tkil

tkil New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Oct 23 2007, 09:43 PM) [snapback]529576[/snapback]</div>
    An organization affiliated with a religion (and thus presumably with hooks into ones eternal soul), asking their members to not engage in a particular activity. That sounds like a boycott to me. What definition are you looking for? "Don't go to this movie, or you'll be excommunicated!"?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Oct 23 2007, 09:43 PM) [snapback]529576[/snapback]</div>
    Right, because Christians in the USA are the most oppressed minority EVAR!

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this the same reaction Harry Potter films and books got?
    Why would any organisation want to narrow the field of experience of a child? Expose the child to all the lawful options then let them decide. My son has been to church he has stayed away from them, he has seen HP movies and read books and he seems perfectly balanced to me. I'd buy my child any book he will read, encourage him to get involved in any sport he shows an interest in etc. I want him to grow up well rounded and able to make his own choices.
    I also see religious indoctrination of children into any religion as a form of child abuse. If they know nothing else they have no alternatives.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Oct 23 2007, 10:00 PM) [snapback]529519[/snapback]</div>
    Athiests have organized to remove the Cross from Mt. Soledad in San Diego, CA. It's gone to court and to public vote over and over and over.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 24 2007, 01:33 AM) [snapback]529588[/snapback]</div>
    There have been repeated attempts to ban the Harry Potter books. They have been publicly burned.

6. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was this athiests or non christians? Could the group have included jews and islamic people? I wonder? Are there any athiest organisations?

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 24 2007, 03:48 AM) [snapback]529619[/snapback]</div>
    The law suit was filed by the ACLU, which is an organization composed of Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, members of other religions and atheists. The issue at stake is governmental promotion, endorsement, and financing of religious symbols. It is not an organized effort by atheists.

ACLU - The Mt. Soledad Latin Cross

8. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Imagine living in such fear of the unknown that you'd sink so low as to do what you're told without question, and try to prevent perfect strangers from living their lives to the fullest. It must be such a heavy burden to bear. And to think people are actually so blinded by the hate they are taught by their religious leaders that they see nothing wrong with trying to get the rest of the nation to toe their narrow pathway.

This is in opposition to knowing that you have researched a topic so well that you have made your own conclusion that said pathway is the right way for yourself to follow. In this second scenario, you may offer advice as to what gives your life meaning, but you'd leave it to others to make their own decisions, not yank the rug out from under them, thus not allowing them the grace to reason for themselves.

Yet again, it is the followers vs. the thinkers. Yet again, it's those who take the easy way vs. those open to all avenues. Yet again, the mindless vs. the mindful. Note how the mindless followers must band together for support and self aggrandizement, they can't trust their God enough to have faith She will provide the tools for each of us individually.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 24 2007, 05:48 AM) [snapback]529619[/snapback]</div>
    It was one Athiest who organized like minded people into a group. The group could have included anyone. As can any organized group.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 24 2007, 11:29 AM) [snapback]529734[/snapback]</div>
    That's when it got that far. It started with one Athiest over 20 years ago. He's be working to remove the cross for that long. It's taken him 20 years to get enough backing to get as far as the courts and bring the ACLU in.

Funny but that's the ONLY cross he seems interested in removing. There are several others in the city and county, but he only objects to THAT one.

Oh, and BTW the cross can't be moved intact. It will crumble and break apart.

You can also hardly see the thing. You'd have to know where it is and really look for it to find it.

Mountain out of a molehill.

10. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well folks, if you really want to know, read the book. I've read the first and second book in the series, and am nearly finished with the third. The first two are excellent and the third one gets pretty out of hand and is not nearly as engaging, but still OK.

Don't ever listen to Christian Fundementalists about anything unless you're also a fundementalist.

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    From what I read the author, Philip Pullman, is taking the "take the money and run" approach. In fact the religious ideas in the book are supposed to be toned down (or gone), which has outraged the fans of the books.

I read all three and found them interesting, but they don't support my personal views. Even so, I plan to see the movie when it comes out.

12. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Oct 24 2007, 12:52 PM) [snapback]529827[/snapback]</div>
    Are those other crosses located on public lands?

13. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Oct 24 2007, 12:43 AM) [snapback]529576[/snapback]</div>
    Freedom of speech to advocate censorship, at least for the members of their fold. Hmmm... I guess that's fine.

What terrible scenario do the Christians envision if/when their kids watch a movie such as Harry Potter or Golden Compass? That their kids become atheists? That their sons become drug dealers? That their daughters choose a life dancing on the pole? Or do they say(or their minister says) it's bad for you, that's it, and the thinking stops?

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 24 2007, 02:38 PM) [snapback]529873[/snapback]</div>
    The Mount Helix cross was. The outcome on that one was that the land the cross was on be turned over to private land and can remain. The local police have Mount Helix as part of their logo, but the cross isn't (although it physically is still there and used to be on their logo).

I have a friend who's Wicca and he does not mind the Mt. Soledad cross at all. It has no meaning for him as a religious item, but is serves as a handy landmark.

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 24 2007, 04:38 PM) [snapback]529873[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. There's a brick cross right near Presidio Park.

There's a prayer using the word God on a rock or concrete slab by the Police Station downtown. I think our police badges also have a small cross embroidered on them. Because we have a mission and it's historical and identified with San Diego.

No one has tried to remove the cross from Presidio Park.

I haven't been by the Police Station lately but I haven't heard of the "monument" or whatever it is having been removed.

There is also a big cross, lit up at night, plainly visible on I-15 as you go south through Escondido and Rancho Bernardo, etc. I saw it last night, all lit up, plainly visible from the freeway. MUCH more visible than the Mt. Soledad cross ever is.

16. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So if the organiser had been budist but not one other person involved in the campaign was budist then the campaign would have been a budist one? Right. Was it presented as an Athiest campaign, or just lead by an Athiest?
    You see that is the difference between athiests and christians, atheists have individual thoughts and actions. One may have a thought shared by others but they aren't told how to think.

I'm reminded of a sketch in "Life of Brian" where Brian said to the following throng, "you don't need to follow me, you don't need to follow anybody. You are all individuals!"
    This was followed by everyone saying in unison, "Yes, we are all individuals." It wouldn't be so funny if it wasn't so true.

17. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had really hoped this this thread wouldn't get sidetracked into thinking a religious boycott of a film is equivalent to efforts by the ACLU and atheists (and others) to have government sanctioned/sponsored religious displays taken down - such efforts are NOT boycotts or actions meant to PUNISH some party for some perceived transgression. They are a form of censorship, but a very specific censorship: they seek to censor GOVERNMENT'S endorsement of a particular religion, in accord with the 1st amendment, and do not have as their aim the deliberate infliction of punishment on some party.

If a private party (individual or church) puts up a religious display on its own property, in compliance with all applicable codes pertaining to height restrictions, view blockage, etc., you will NOT find the ACLU or atheists demanding it be dismantled, although you might very well see some RELIGIOUS group trying to have it taken down as an affront to THEIR belief.

Nor will you see the ACLU or atheists trying to shut down a commercial enterprise, such as a film, play, theme park, etc. SOLELY because it happens to have a religious theme. Such actions are of necessity punitive in nature, and amount to direct censorship of PRIVATE free expression, as well as financial injury to the party being suppressed.

But we DO see organized religious groups mounting boycotts of PRIVATE free expression, such as films, plays, art exhibits, etc. and a boycott is a mechanism with punishent its core feature, to create a strong incentive to stop doing something.

I have to say, though, complaining about the religious attempts to boycott commercial secular enterprise is a pyrhhic campaign, because the real world results of all their attempted suppressions achive exactly the opposite of their intended effect: they call greater attention to the "offending" event and make it an even greater financial success than it might otherwise have been! From a strictly business perspective, the BEST thing that can happen to an event is to have some religious clan of recognizeable size try to mount a boycott against it.

But that fact does not diminish the despicability of the attempt.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 24 2007, 07:04 PM) [snapback]529942[/snapback]</div>
    Yes and yes.

Had he been Buddhist it would have been presented as a Buddhist campaign. (Which is silly because Buddhists wouldn't have waged a 20 year campaign to remove the cross.)

It eventually changed from an Athiest/Christian issue to a Liberal/Conservative issue. Probably when the Athiest enlisted the ACLU in his legal battle. (Because we know all Liberals are godless heathens, right?)

In the end most people either didn't care if the cross stayed or were sick of hearing about it.

Like I said. Mountain. Molehill. Selective. Waste of time and taxpayer's money.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Oct 24 2007, 08:34 PM) [snapback]529983[/snapback]</div>

Private or public. They don't make the distinction. The same groups trying to get you to boycott The Golden Compass are trying to ban books from school libraries. These are the same groups that hold public book burnings. They don't make the distinction.

The only way they can control what you have access to is to make sure you are deprived of the choice. And they have elected themselves the arbiters of what you should and should not have access to, be it a book, a movie or a war memorial.

If they can't get you to think the way they do, they'll try to do your thinking for you.

I like my steak well done, thank you.

19. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where can I read more about this campaign to remove this cross?
    You refer to Athiest which is one Athiest not a group of Athiests. Did the person also have red hair? did he often wear a white shirt? should we refer to him as a red head or a white shirt wearer? To us athiests these things are as important or more so than a belief in god or what ever, well actually more important because they are real.

20. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 24 2007, 08:44 PM) [snapback]530047[/snapback]</div>
    Will the appellate court holding do?