1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Fob (remote) took the physical key to the dealer - ground no charge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bernie3015, Oct 29, 2022.

1. bernie3015

bernie3015 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have bought a lot of third party fobs and have had trouble with the physical keys that my local lock smith cut for me. They complained that the third party keys were not good.
    I took a third party key to a dealer (Hamer Toyota, Mission Hills, CA) with my registration (I did not ask if this was necessary.) and they cut a new key from the Vin number - NO CHARGE.. It worked just fine no problems where the locksmith duplicated keys did not and they charge for this!

I would love to hear if other dealers also will do this at no charge. The list price for a Toyota key is around $20.00 for a 2004 to 2009 Prius.

It is good to have the physical key just in case your 12 volt battery dies or the battery in your remote dies.
    A remote with a bad battery will still start the car if put in the slot and the physical key will open the door.

Bernie
    http://www.elearnaid.com
    We sell: 12 volt batteries, new hybrid batteries, and air filters for the hv battery.

#1 bernie3015, Oct 29, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone might be interested in which dealer you were supporting.