1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Forum Member

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Family Hybrid, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Family Hybrid

Family Hybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just signed up as a member to this board after lurking for about 6 months. I must say I am very impressed with the information available from this community. I have even referred several of my students to this site and John1701a's site so they can learn about Prius' in the real world.

My wife is looking to replace one of our SUV's with a more fuel efficient vehicle. She has narrowed her search down from 7 vehicles to 2. The 2 being the Prius and the Camry Hybrid. As I am typing this she is driving around in a rental Prius ('06, Pkg 7) with my 2 kids. She read the threads that compare the two vehicles but she still can't decide. The insurance rates are nearly identical (the Prius is $1.20 more per 6months). It seems each vehicle has something she wants. For example, the Prius has a backup camera and the Camry has seat heaters.

If this was my decision, it would be a Prius Touring, Pkg. 6 simply because this will be a daily commuter car and I would easily trade ride comfort for better handling. It also seems to have a more flexible trunk area (not that that is a big concern with us). She likes the Camry because of how it rides and the overall roominess of the interior. I told her she can't go wrong with either one. The sticker price of a '07 Prius Pkg. 6 is about $29K and the sticker on a loaded Hy Cam is $31K.

Also, she wants to add headrest DVD players to whichever car she gets. Do any of you out there have them installed? If so, please give us some feedback so we know what to expect.

Any additional insight you can give my wife to help her make her decision a little easier would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I own a Prius and a Camry... not the Camry Hybrid, but it's still somewhat comparable. I'd recommend the Prius for reasons you mentioned:

1. fuel efficiency
    2. flexible cargo space
    3. plenty of passenger space
    4. loaded Prius costs less than loaded Hy Cam
    5. since you said "one of our SUVs" I assume you'll be keeping at least one SUV, in which case it's your responsibility to offset the excess fuel consumption by as much as possible ;)

3. Family Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jan 5 2007, 03:41 PM) [snapback]371462[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I do need to keep one SUV for towing and for weekends. We currently have a 4Runner and an Armada and they get the exact same fuel mileage (13/19). The 4Runner is older and cannot tow as much as the Armada. We were using both as commuter vehicles which is less than ideal (I have an '00 Celica that I will be using to commute to work (28/35).

Anyway, this is what my driveway currently looks like (the 4Runner is parked at the rental car place). I think if I fold the seats down in the Armada I can park the Prius inside of it. :p

Attached Files:

4. Family Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We just came back from driving it around town this evening. Here are her thoughts on this car:

Positive
    Fuel mileage - she kept asking me what the graphs represented and was impressed with 43mpg avg. over 100 miles (that's with both of us driving and not using any special techniques).

Interior Room - Not the biggest car we drove in this dept., but definately has enough room even as the kids grow.

Exterior Size - It fits in our garage, the Camry doesn't

Negative
    Climate Controls - It takes more than a few button pushes to get what you need, even with the controls on the steering wheel. Too much time is spent looking at the MFD.

No Heated Seats - I prefer the leather, but she thinks it will be too cold in the winter without heaters.

Acceleration - To keep up with from a stop or to merge with traffic requires a heavier than normal foot on the gas pedal. I know a heavy foot is not good for fuel mileage, but it is necessary in this area. That being said, we still feel safe with Prius in traffic.

Nav & Bluetooth - This negative is from me. The nav system in the Prius has got to be the most user un-friendly system I have ever used. We have Nav in our Armada, while not great, does not require as many steps. Both systems don't come close to my Garmin c340 which has to be, IMHO, one of the best. I actually got into an argument with the Prius voice program, it was not pretty. :rolleyes:

None of the negatives are deal breakers, simply observations. We still want to spend a little more time in a Camry Hybrid for comparison. Too bad no one locally rents it.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My wife is looking to replace one of our SUV's with a more fuel efficient vehicle. She has narrowed her search down from 7 vehicles to 2. The 2 being the Prius and the Camry Hybrid. As I am typing this she is driving around in a rental Prius ('06, Pkg 7) with my 2 kids. She read the threads that compare the two vehicles but she still can't decide. The insurance rates are nearly identical (the Prius is $1.20 more per 6months). It seems each vehicle has something she wants. For example, the Prius has a backup camera and the Camry has seat heaters.

I feel the backup camera is overrated. I'll glance at it but I don't think I really use it or would miss it. If you aren't actually going to use all of the features perhaps a lower package with the difference invested in specific aftermarket mods would make more sense. Go with the Camry if you're happier with its options.

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Hi JimN

I'm inclined to agree a bit on the backup camera. The fisheye lens so distorts the view that it is near impossible to judge distances. About the only advantage is you could see an object quite close.

I'm considering modifying my 2007 with RadioShack parts to make a backup signal audible from both outside and inside the Prius, about a $10 cost. Instructions were published on PriusChat about 6-8 monthos ago. If I can find a link, I'll send it later.

7. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hi FamilyHybrid, and Welcome to PC!!

I too traded in my SUV (Xterra) for my Prius. the X got about 16 mpg and was 4 wheel drive. I personally think you made a good decision keeping the armada, despite its size, and it is HUGE, and get poor mileage, it is lower on emissions than the 4runner. My wife and I traded in both our vehicles this past August and got a Prius for the Xterra and a 4x4 Nissan Frontier for our other truck. Here, we have to have a 4x4 vehicle due to weather in the winter time, and the Frontier is a relatively FE truck and is 4x4.

As for your negatives on the Prius, the controls will take a little getting used to. I can get my climate control adjusted comfortably in just a second. I don't even think about the other controls now, they've become second nature. Heated seats can be added as an aftermarket addition at a relatively inexpensive price. I think you'll find the Prius has all the power you will need, and is extremely safe as it is constructed of higher tensil strength steel. I hope you will grow accustomed to it, and both you and your wife will grow to love your Pius as much as my wife and I do. Read these forums as they contain invaluable insight from others who are going through and have gone through exactly what you are.

Welcome again!! and Happy New Year to all!! :D :D

8. Family Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Jan 6 2007, 10:09 AM) [snapback]371723[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Rangerdavid, good to be here. B)

The more time we spend in the Prius, the more I like the leather seats. I will call around locally to see how much it would be to add the seat heaters.

She seems to be getting used to how to drive it and has no problem merging with traffic. Right now the avg. FE is 43mpg.

As far as the backup camera goes, I don't use it that often on the Armada except when I try to get real close to an object or hooking up my trailer. The wife feels more strongly about it. If she decides on the Camry I will have to get one installed.

9. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Actually, our winter mileage goes down a bit, seems like for all Prius owners in the colder climates. Mine dropped from 49.6 to 43. But, we do have one member here who is also from Va. Beach who regularly gets 700+ miles per tank (ave. 70+ mpg, or so).

The Camery is also a very nice car as well. I don't think with those two chioces you could go wrong.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    We traded our 1st SUV (ford exploader) for the 04 Prius nearly 3 years ago and never looked back. Then, last year we traded in our Range Rover for the Hybrid RX-400h. Again, never looked back (though my wife likes sitting up higher in the RR). The reason? After 911 we wanted to reduce wasted mpg as much as possible, and get more soldiers per gallon. Just tying to do the right thing since we can afford to do so.

Attached Files:

11. Family Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Jan 6 2007, 10:58 PM) [snapback]371933[/snapback]</div>
    I know the feeling. Our Armada came with a thank you card from OPEC. :lol:

12. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: Backup camera, it's great for parallel parking in a tight spot since you can pull within an inch of the other car's bumper. As you said FH, good for getting really close to something. Not much use otherwise, and turning your head around isn't such a chore anyway.

Re: your negatives list...

As was mentioned, seat heater is a relatively inexpensice after-market option (although I'd take a pass on that and leather becuase seat heaters take electricity, and leather, IMO, is just silly in cars ;) )

I've gotten very used to controls of both climate and nav system. Climate is easier to master though. As for nav, you could save yourself the $$ and get a lower package, and still buy the Garmin unit you adore for less than the difference. I like having it built in though, just as a purely aesthetic concern.

As an alternative to all that, you could trade in both cars and buy enough bikes for the whole family, and just bike everywhere. You'll slightly reduce your effective travel range, and there's no bike with built-in nav system that I know of (I should take that idea to the bank!), but you'll be in better shape than ever after just a few months. :)

13. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Re the climate controls. I wrestled with it for 2 days, then set it to auto. All adjustments are then done by the car without your intervention. Set your temp, set to auto...you'll like it.

14. johnnymg

johnnymg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Family Hybrid @ Jan 5 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]371457[/snapback]</div>
    Greetings

Where did you rent the Prius? I'd like to do the same thing.................... so that I could check out the car.

Regards
    another former lurker
    JohnG

15. Family Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JohnG @ Jan 7 2007, 02:57 PM) [snapback]372143[/snapback]</div>
    I rented it from one of the local Toyota dealers. Some dealers are Toyota Rental Car (TRAC) outlets. I did a quick search and it looks like Hamer Toyota in Mission Hill is a TRAC dealer. Go to toyota.com, click the About Toyota tab and select Toyota Rent a Car.

I have yet to find anyone who rents the Camry Hybrid. I guess there is not much demand when you have regular 4cyl. Camrys to rent.

16. johnnymg

johnnymg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Family Hybrid @ Jan 7 2007, 04:11 PM) [snapback]372235[/snapback]</div>
    FH

Thanks for the info on the rental.

BTW, what is the daily rate and is there a mileage limit?

Thanks
    JohnG

17. Family Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JohnG @ Jan 7 2007, 07:38 PM) [snapback]372245[/snapback]</div>
    I paid $131 with tax for the weekend (Fri - Sun). The mileage limit was 200mi/day. We just passed 200 miles this evening.

18. johnnymg

johnnymg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Family Hybrid @ Jan 7 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]372262[/snapback]</div>
    FH

Thanks for the rental info.

I saw your mini-review (above) but have two questions for someone (anyone actually) who is new to the Prius:

Are the seats generally comfy?.............. especially the shortish bottoms. FWIW, I've always found the Asian car seat bottoms to be rather short.

Does the car feel/drive like a "real" car and not an appliance? Flame suit ON. :ph34r:

Thanks
    JohnG