1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New forum, New Prius, Need better stereo!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by donaldhall, Jan 8, 2011.

1. donaldhall

donaldhall New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi all, new to the Priuschat forum, Lots of good info here.
    Having fun with the car and am thinking it will work just fine. However the wife does not like the stereo and it does seem to lack something and it is the JBL 8 speaker.
    On monday we are having some new equipment installed and hoping it will fix.
    Replacing the front lower door speakers with either Hertz 6x9 or 6.5 in speaker.
    Install JBL 400/4 class d amp
    Install 10" non ported sub
    New amp to run new door speakers and bridge other side to run sub. Head unit to run other speakers as normal.
    Will report back on how it works.:D

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard. I think most people have the same sentiment about the stereo. On of my first mods was an new HU. The OEM speakers seem fine to me though (non-JBL).

Enjoy the ride!

1 person likes this.
  3. donaldhall

donaldhall New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Update on the new equipment install,
    JL audio 400/4 amp, with
    remote adjustment for base volume
    JL audio 6x9 front door lower speaker
    JL audio 10" sub in non ported box
    Jl audio cleansweep
    Acording to the tech who did the work, the signal from the hu to the JBL amp in NOT digital, but it does not regulate volume, so you need a cleansweep or summing device. This lets you tap into the high and low outputs of the JBL amp to get a full signal. This is feed to the new amp. Speaker imputs are not the best but I did not want to change the head unit.
    Once the system was tuned all I can say is wow,
    The sound now comes from the entire front area of the car not just the windshield, the full range effect of the 6x9 (they have tweeters also) is wonderfull. The base from the 6x9 is great and the adjustable 10" sub will make the whole car vibrate if you want it to.
    The amp and cleansweep all fit under the pass seat, sub takes up very little room. New class D amps are small and only uses a 30 amp fuse.:rockon:

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds good. ;) Where did you put the sub?

5. donaldhall

donaldhall New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The sub came mounted in a box about 20" wide, 8" thick at the bottom, about 6" thick at the top. It sets in the hatch area backed up to the left side rear seat, it just slips under the rod that holds the pull shade. Found it to be space friendly. Can be removed if needed.

Donald

6. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So, you kept the original JBL speakers in the upper dash (firing into the windshield) and also the rear door speakers?? Music is now played thru the upper dash speakers also in addition to your new 6x9's??

7. tomstodola

tomstodola Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have had my 2010 for a week. the first thing I noticed was the JBL stereo is not nearly as nice as the stock stereo in my 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid.
    Where did you get the work done? and if I may ask, how much?

8. donaldhall

donaldhall New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, all the stock speakers still play off the stock amp, the new JL 6x9 fit in the lower front door replacing the stock 6x9. The tech blended the volume of the new amp and speakers to move the center of sound back to a more normal location. Makes a lot of difference. The upgrade was not cheep but not that bad considering how much you can spend on these things. About $1600, with all good quality equipment. Local shop called Elite-rides which has become know for some very good work did the install. The one thing I did not mention was all the sound-insulation material I put in. All 4 doors (outerskin, some on innersking and some on door panel) rear hatch area and door. About 40 sg-ft total. Added about 12 lbs of weight but made a hell of a difference in road noise and no audio vibration. Doors sound like a nice Lexus when closing now!:D

1 person likes this.
  9. roppy5

roppy5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What JL 6x9 did you choose? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. The only difference is that I may go with an Infinity Basslink II. Thoughts?

10. alleyooptroop

alleyooptroop New Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but op has addressed the biggest problem I have with the jbl system - the lack of sound from the speakers in the front doors. Wanted to see if anyone else has done something similar.

11. zeoth

zeoth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So dumb question but how did you prevent the rear from sagging when you add the subs? I have a set of 2 10" JL W3-v2 I want to drop in and out but the Prius springs are weak and I'm not interested in getting stiffer lowering springs.