1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new gen 1 prius owner from UK.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ukprius, Oct 2, 2011.

1. ukprius

ukprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everybody,

Just to introduce myself firstly,my name is Phil and live just outside London,United Kingdom.

I purchased a 2001 uk spec gen1 Prius which I think you guys refer to as a classic about month ago for the grand sum of £400 sterling.bodywork a bit bashed and bruised but interior mint and lady I got from has pretty much a full toyota service history.

I have serviced it in relation to oil/filters plugs etc and would now like to change trans oil as vehicle has covered 92,000 miles and I can find no record of this having been completed by toyota.

The local dealer close to me have quoted £52 for sump pan gasket,sump washer and 4 litres of atf-ws fluid however I keep reading that up to 2003 the prius used atf t-1v? I know this has been covered somewhere on this forum but would like to ask again as to the compatability of filling with Atf-ws on these early transaxles and any possible problems?

I must say this is the most smoothest and quietest car I have ever driven in over 30 years of driving and my wife absolutely loves it but not qiute as much as her Mazda MX-5,over the pond you call them miata's I believe. on this basis I am hoping to move up to newer Prius in hopefully next 2 years if this old girl lasts but enjoying driving it as much as I can and of course fuel economy is brilliant.

Many thanks for any tips and advice.

Phil.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! sorry i can't answer your question phil, but i'm sure someone will have it, all the best!:)

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just to double clarify here - is the car definitely a UK spec gen1 Prius and not the grey imported Jap version? Reason I ask is they look very similar but are completely different cars mechanically and electrically. Easy way to tell in 99% of cases is the rear number plate. If it's more square then it's an import if it's a long rectangular normal looking one then it's the official UK model.

If you got a UK model for £400 then you've done very well indeed. :rockon:

4. ukprius

ukprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes defo a uk model.number plates correct and got original paperwork as supplied by jemca in 7-sisters rd in north london.It also comes up on toyota dealers system as uk registered/supplied.shame it's a jan 2001 as road tax is still £130.it's a bit battered and bruised bodily and factory alloys look scabby but other than that it drives perfectly and interior is almost as new.

Last service bill in august 2010 was for £1,070 included 4 tyres,air con regas/refresh,spare remote key supplied and coded and radiator replaced along with the service and mot.I almost felt guilty!!!

I just want to do this trans fluid change to play safe,hence the question.should I post elsewhere other than in newbie section?

What a great following these cars have in the USA,shame not same here as dealers have the monopoly.

5. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well you've done well. Not an expert on the classic gen1 but there can be age related issues with the electrical power steering system and the transmission - and changing the fluid is a good thing. Which fluid you'll need is beyond me but I think the car must have the recommended type only. Have a word with your local dealers and they should help give you advice. If they don't then try another one.

There is a section on this forum for the gen1/classic and I'll flag the mods to transfer this thread over to it - you might get a better response rate.

ps. Post some pics of your new motor when you're able. I love the classic Prius and they're as rare as over here.

6. ukprius

ukprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be good,thank you.

Yes,the steering recall flagged up at wayside toyota in St Albans when I popped in to price/order the trans lube change bits.I am booking in for the "FREE" check and rectification but having worked in the motor trade for 30 years reckon some other work will be recommended!

I thought they were rare but keep seeing them more and more now and quite a few pop up on flea-bay,uk models and imports.

I will take some photo's this week and post if I can work out where to put on this site.

Lady I brought it from wanted more and reckoned someone had offered her £800 but as tax and mot were both up the following week at end of august I stood with my offer and she rang me back 2 days later to accept as other person never showed up.she still had a better deal, as cargiant offered her £100 p/ex against the '07 plate prius she brought from them,so I didn't feel too guilty.

7. fthorn

fthorn From gas hog to greenie to gas hog

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    best of luck to you with your Prius. I have a 2001, as well.
    I was just in London in July, too.

8. ukprius

ukprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How long have you had your 2001 and how has it behaved?

Where in London did you visit? most of it is a toilet now I'm afraid to say.

Still trying to get to bottom of this trans fluid change and can anyone advise if fluid is best drained hot or cold?

9. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    London's not a toilet. Visited it for the first time in 30 years this year and have been back a couple times - mad eh? Never been for decades then 3 times this year. What I would say is that all the Londoners I met were surprisingly friendly. I was with a friend and were on a wrong bus in a bad area :eek: but the passengers were very helpful and friendly and got us pointed in the right direction and right bus. :) (we got a cab back though! ;))

The traffic is a bl**dy nightmare! And the pollution! Don't get me started on the pollution. I don't know how people live in it day after day. Imagine being stood next to a badly tuned diesel bus as it sets off up a hill and a cloud of black soot spews over you? Well that's how every breath felt to me in London. It needs sorting guys!

:focus:

Back to topic - does anyone know which transmission fluid is needed in a gen1/classic Prius?

10. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. ukprius

ukprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Found info at last and carried out fluid change y'day.

Parts came to £64 from toyota dealer and 2 hours of my valuable time.

Now looking to tackle inverter fluid change.I hate working on cars as I do it day in,day out but got the prius bug and enjoy getting grubby on this one.

thanks.:p If it was a London Taxi you rode in,it may have been driven by my brother-in-law.was he miserable and money grabbing by any chance!!!!!!!!!!!