1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Gen II Owner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by billinmd, Feb 10, 2013.

1. billinmd

billinmd Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have owned a 2010 Gen III for a few years now, and I love it.

Today I bought a 2009 Gen II, and I have a few questions. The Toyota Maintenance record shows the installation of remote start. How do I test to see if it is actually installed?

Second, the Gen II brakes make a lot more noise than the Gen III... especially if I press hard on the pedal. Is that normal?

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The brakes do make noise, I forget the cause but it's not unusual, particularly in cold weather. Assuming you don't mean a squeak or squeal which means they need to be replaced.

billinmd likes this.
  3. billinmd

billinmd Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thank you! No squeak or squeal. I am taking the car in for service this Friday, just to make sure all is well, get an oil change, etc. glad to know that this is probably not an issue.

iPad ? HD

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would ask them about the remote start. I don't have remote start nor do I know anyone who does (on a Gen II anyway). Let us know what you find out.

5. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Did you get another remote fob? I don't know how a remote start is going to work without either a new or additional fob.

6. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Make sure they don't over fill your oil.

7. billinmd

billinmd Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks everyone! I only have the two fobs, but I'm pretty sure that the factory FOB operates the factory remote start. My guess is that it has since been removed, but you never know. I'll also make sure that they don't overfill!

8. billinmd

billinmd Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Turns out the remote starter is not installed. Oh well, it wasn't like we needed it to begin with, nor was it listed as a feature when we bought the car.

I did have a good week with the car, though. I found out via the CarFax report that the last time the car was sold, it was a Toyota Certified Used vehicle... So I called Toyota and confirmed we have the 7yr/100k powertrain warranty, valid until April 2016! Hopefully we will never need it for anything, but it was a nice added bonus.

iPad ? HD