1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Gen1 owner

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Tvspi, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Tvspi

Tvspi New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello All, I recently acquired a Gen. 1 with 202K miles. It has a bit of a complex back story. I got the car free from a friend who had been using it as an Uber Car. He was the second owner and put 100k on the car. In November the ICE developed a rod knock. I located a 2002 ICE with 747mi. on it at a wrecking yard about 30 miles away ( really not a typo! A verifiable 747mi.) The engine was professionally installed in January. The car was stared periodically until the original ICE was replaced. Obviously, the car has not been started since. My friend bought a new Optima Yellow top for the 12volt battery. But has been unable to start the car. I checked out the 12volt battery it was discharged to 11.5 volts at the terminals.? I had the battery charged and load tested; it now holds 12.8 vols at the terminals under normal load. My friend says " if you want the car, take it I'm finished with it." The car has no rust , perfect interior, no damage,new brakes and tires , and obviously a nearly new ICE. My question. Is there a reasonably priced charger available that can be used to charge through the "plug to nowhere"? I have not test the HV terminal voltage yet. But I will tomorrow. I'm an Electrical Engineer who is very familiar with battery charging but not in this context. Any suggestions or guidance would be welcomed. Thanks All, Tony V.

bisco likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think there was a firm that started selling a maintenance charger in the Gen 1 voltage range within the last few years, a few hundred dollars if I remember right. A 300-ish volt adjustable lab power supply might do the trick if you can find one at instrument surplus or something, though it might have a pretty low current limit and take a long time for a charge.

If the battery's been sitting long enough, it might be worth doing what folks used to do, take off the cover, and hit individual modules using some multi-channel RC chargers. Also takes a long time to hit all the modules that way, but may end up better balanced (or you learn which ones aren't going to come back).

-Chap

Johog likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! i'm not sure if the prolong charger works on gen 1, but the owner is @jeff652 and may be able to advise. all the best!(y)

jeff652 likes this.
  4. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We do have a Gen1 Prius battery reconditioning system, it can be found here:
    Prolong™ Value Reconditioning Package - Hybrid Automotive

We sell them to body shops and mechanics all the time who need to charge up the hybrid battery enough to get the car started.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    knew i could count on you, thanks.;)

6. vaughnstark777

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Here's one on ebay: www.ebay.com/itm/162306175848
    This particular one is for a 2nd generation. If you go to the item description he lists one for the 1st gens as special order.

7. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's Jeff @ Hybridautomotive. I have one, the one with the discharge harness (don't know the difference.) That allows you to do a complete balance of the HV battery. He's offering a "Smart Discharger" this month as well. A good system, at about $700 total, not cheap. But it does extend the life of the HV battery and that beats spending $2000 plus for a new battery.

I wonder how a Prius motor develops a rod knock at 200K? Sounds like you may have done well.