1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Guy here with Black 2007 Touring

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by topkick, Jul 4, 2007.

1. topkick

topkick Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would like to say thanks for all the tips that I have read here in the last month. I got my Prius about a month ago.

I traded a 2007 Honda Ridgeline in on the Prius. The last bout with the fuel prices really got my attention. My honda was getting 12-15 mpg in town and 18-21 on the highway. I knew I would take a hit on the trade but was tired of the $60-$80 fill ups.

With about 500 miles on the Prius I took a trip from Oklahoma City to Houston. I got 45 mpg on the way to Houston driving in the 70's with cc. On the way home I used the cc and set it at 65 mph and got 49.3. I was very happy with that. Around town I am getting 43-44 mpg but all my trips are short and I still only have 1800 miles on the vehicle.

Because of the trip to Houston and back I got several dings on the hood from rocks or whatever and I had a Clear Bra put on. I am hoping that will help. By the way who in their right mind uses white primer? Don't work well with black.

Thanks again.

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Topkick, welcome to PC!
    Too bad about the rock chips. Yeah, I've seen that complaint before. I hope the clear bra keeps more from happening.

Grab some coffee, and tell us all about your new Prius... and, I'm sure your mileage will improve, as it always seems to, as your car gets broken in.

3. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congratulation Houston!

I have a black one too and I hate the white Primer. :angry:

Other than that I love the car so far.

Parents used to live in Houston and still have business there. It is a great Restaurant Town. I used to love to go to Tony's.

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Black seems to require white as a primer. Every black car I have owned had white primer.

5. topkick

topkick Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ Jul 4 2007, 11:54 PM) [snapback]473325[/snapback]</div>

I was just visiting Houston, my daughter lives there. I see you are from Atlanta, my daughter in law and two grandsons live just out of Athens. Thats a great place to visit also.

I agree about loving the car it is great and I hope to have it or one like it for a very long time.

Jim

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Jul 5 2007, 12:14 AM) [snapback]473334[/snapback]</div>

OK I didn't know that. This is the first black car I ever owned. It would have been my last choice but it was the only one that had what I wanted on it. The color is beginning to grow on me.

6. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(topkick @ Jul 5 2007, 06:53 AM) [snapback]473417[/snapback]</div>
    Ha! You are succumbing to the black car color addiction. The only problem is that black requires constant washing and waxing to look its best. The slightest bit of dust will make the car look as if it hasn't been washed in forever. But when it has been washed and waxed - wow!

7. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Isn't the hood aluminum? Maybe it requires the white primer to bond to the Al.

8. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil @ Jul 5 2007, 10:56 AM) [snapback]473552[/snapback]</div>
    Doubtful. White primer is used on black Corvettes as well.... And the black Volvo that I owned (as well as the two black Denalis that I owned from 2001 to 2006) had white primer.

9. RexChu

RexChu New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(topkick @ Jul 4 2007, 10:40 PM) [snapback]473293[/snapback]</div>
    Strange how something you think is unique to yourself and you find out later, others are in the same boat.

I too, had had it with fuel prices, traded in my year old 2006 Lexus GS 300 with 20,000 miles for my Prius. Was costing me nearly $50 to fill up (it *only* took premium fuel). It was this reason, along with the weekly "you car cost too much" (> $50K) comments from my wife, and my 3 year daughter (I really should put the extra money in her college fund) that made me trade it in, take a 20 grand hit in depreciation (ouch!) and get a Prius.

I did make myself a deal - that I would get a fully loaded Prius (I had grown acustomed to the smart key, back-up camera, DVD nav, leather interior, CVT trans) So hence, my Barcelona Red Touring with pckg #6 with a select few aftermarket mods.

After having it a month? I LOVE IT! I love the technology (one could argue that Toyota has more advanced engineering in the Prius than in their Lexus GS 300/350. And, of course the fantastic millage (23 mpg vs 45!)

To those who are familiar, Houston is a mix of super freeways that are constantly being widened (5 lanes each way plus HOV are the norm) and medium to large boulevards covering a sprawling, flat terrain that has no natural boundaries (the gulf coast is 60 miles from us, that's it). No hills to climb, but AC is manditory. And as mentioned, we love to eat out! (And yet another reason to get a fuel effecient car!)

I am about to take a road trip to Louisiana, and am not looking forward to the hood dings, oh well, there's not enough time to do anything about it.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy your new 07 Touring, and if you see a Red Touring with side mouldings and very dark tinted windows next time you're in Houston, honk, it will probably be me. If it honks back, and sounds like a domestic car horn, than it was me! :D

10. topkick

topkick Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    rex-n-efx

Thanks for the reply. I am really loving the Prius, If I can just stop adding things to it. Everytime I get on Priuschat.com I find something else that I want to add.

I really was tired of not being able to make all the way from OKC to Katy on a tank of gas. I was having to fill up in Hearn at about $50 and then still had another 100 or so miles to go. Now I can make it the complete distance on one tank of gas and when I fill up in Katy it is usually 9 1/2 or 10 gals. So I am pretty happy that I made the change.

If you see a black one with Oklahoma plates and Touring on the back it may be me. Have a good trip to LA. :rolleyes: