1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new guy here

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by db025, Jun 18, 2008.

1. db025

db025 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Looking for information on fuel efficiency and power with the Prius, specifically long distances at highway speeds, with a little extra weight, and climbing mountains. I'm retired and have always enjoyed driving and seeing the sights I can't see from 35,000 feet. Now with fuel going to be $5.00 by the end of the year, I want to replace my RAV4. I'd like to get some idea of how the Prius will do carrying the wife and I, one suitcase, and some camping gear on cross country trips.

Thanks all.

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds perfect for you. I've taken mine on 4 long distance trips with the wife, the 4 year old, luggage, and a dog carrier I have cut through the mountains in PA and WV and it performs fine. On long distance trips if you can keep your speed about 65 - 70 MPH you can get about 50+ MPG.

3. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You will be amazed at the stuff you can get in the back. I brought my daughter's futon home from college (disassembled, of course) along with other things. And the mileage will speak for itself.

4. db025

db025 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks. I can live with that. I like the MPH too. Takes to long to get from point
    A to point B at 55, and 70 is a nice comfortable cruising average.

5. db025

db025 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Furniture hauling is the primary reason I've been staying with pick-ups and SUVs. That and there's room to stretch out when I'm "between", and for what ever reason, end up living out of my car. Kind of like a security blanket.